Help: Bond NVR 10 minutes tests 11-12 years

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaysDarlin

Help: Bond NVR 10 minutes tests 11-12 years

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hello everyone.

I have a query regarding the Bond 10 minute tests - is this the same format that the NFER test are going to be? Barring the cubes and nets, the book also has questions like:

Reflections (which shape on the right is a reflection of the shape given on the left?)

Which shape or pattern is made when the first two shapes or patterns are put together?

And also, please can someone help me with Test 14, Q4 I cant understand why the answer is a big circle. I would have thought it to be the smaller circle.

Thanks. I really appreciate it.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Please can someone help me with Test 14, Q4 I cant understand why the answer is a big circle. I would have thought it to be the smaller circle.
Anyone there? Please help :wink:
fm

Post by fm »

I must have an old edition of this book because my number 14 is nothing like this.
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Ok, already PM-ed JaysDarlin the logic. Here it is:

As we move down the rows,
1. the shapes move one position to the left.
2. Shapes change the size (small becomes big and big to small)
3. Shapes in the first and fourth column are the same.

Gilly
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi everyone,

fm mentioned to me in a PM that these papers are easier, and throw the pupil off course as they are so used to looking for more complicated patterns, and these are a lot simpler.

I am in state of anguish as ds just did an 80 question AFN paper and scored 7 wrong...

He also did a VR test and got 12 wrong due to not having enough time.

Our first test is on Saturday and I am feeling extremely low!
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

JaysDarlin wrote:Hi everyone,

fm mentioned to me in a PM that these papers are easier, and throw the pupil off course as they are so used to looking for more complicated patterns, and these are a lot simpler.

I am in state of anguish as ds just did an 80 question AFN paper and scored 7 wrong...

He also did a VR test and got 12 wrong due to not having enough time.

Our first test is on Saturday and I am feeling extremely low!
I would say, at this point just don't worry about anything. Just relax and wind down with 10 minute tests and an occasional NFER test thrown in to keep the real thing in your view. Yes Bond tests are easy but they tackle some very basic problems which other publishers ignore. I find a boost in VR performance after some Bond tests in standard format. I would highly recommend the standard format for practice as it makes kids think and make full use of their brains instead of relying on hints in the multiple choice format. My son finds multiple choice format very easy after some practice in standard format and usually finishes a NFER VR paper within half an hour scoring above 95%. I have gone back to Bond 10 minutes test for VR and we are working on our mistakes in all four NFER papers this week. We are going to tackle our nemesis, NVR 11A today.

Bond tests are very different from NFER tests still I will not ignore them as they are good for the development of lateral thinking in general. Just checked the two tests I set him yesterday:

Bond 10 Minutes Tests, NVR Test 4- 8/12
Bond 10 Minutes Tests, VR Test 21- 15/20

Disgusting scores by his standards but I would not worry about it at this stage. A couple of weeks ago I would have gone berserk. Remember, this is the 'chill-out' week. I am concentrating mainly on the importance of making the best effort for him, keep on telling him that he has to give his best shot and hope for the best:

Do your best and leave the rest
Till all comes right some day or night!

(heard it in one of the animated films of Black Beauty). For myself: I keep reminding myself of the importance of 'unconditional love.' I have a lovely child and exam or no exam, he is lovely with an excellent and mature personality, very hard-working, tall, healthy, obedient, studios, thoughtful. He has a million qualities and I will love him no matter what happens. My job is to preserve those qualities and develop them further and that has always been the real aim. This exam is the biggest challenge we are tackling together but there will be more challenges and sometimes he will win at other times he will not. My job is to be there at the end of all this and keep on reminding him not to worry because 'WE' gave it our best shot and that is all that matters. Just chill out now, relax. All will be OK!
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Thank you for that, Drastic Dad.

After your very reassuring and encouraging post, an evening of contemplation and good nights sleep, I have woken up ready to face the world!
fm

Post by fm »

To JaysDarlin,

I think you misunderstood my pm. In order of difficulty I would put:

AFN followed by NFER followed by Bond Tests with Rocket (not Bond Assessment Papers). Bond 10 minute papers are very variable--some easier, some harder.

The AFN non-verbal I have is out of 60. My own daughter got 50, 56 and 51 in these. Not particularly spectacular but went on to get 39/40 in the real NFER exam.

What I said was easier was the real NFER exam she sat on the day. All my pupils said it was easier than they had done in my house and their scores bear this out e.g. one boy scored 41/60 in NFERA 54/60 in NFERB, and 37/40 in the real test.

My comment was specific to our exam (Bishop Vesey's/Sutton Girls). I don't know your area. Possibly your exams are just as hard as the practice papers.

As to NFER A, I have literally never had a child able to do this well (and 90+% of my pupils pass) I always do it section by section and scores of 6/12 are commonplace. I never bother revisiting the test either. I just praise them when they go on to do so much better than B, C and D. In fact, I am usually fairly low key about a bad performance in any test which is by far the best tactics (although I did not manage this very sensible approach with my own child).

Last night was my final night for tutoring the children doing an exam on Saturday and my advice was to do no work on Thursday or Friday. At this point your child is ready to do the best he or she can, and that's all they can do. If you really feel the need to do something more, sit down and do one with her and make sure she sees them before you do and praise her to the hilt. Self-confidence goes a long way.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Thanks, fm, your post has really made me feel better. We are sitting the Slough Consortium 11+ this weekend and then the Tiffin (Surrey) 11+ in December.

Actually it was the VR that panicked me more than anything as he missed out three questions by "accident", ran out of time, and so didnt have a chance to go back and mark the questions he thought he would come back to - this has never happened to him before.

I mix AFN questions from other papers to make an 80 question paper.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Fm, what is "Rocket"?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now