Dealing with Pressure

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bo Peep

Dealing with Pressure

Post by Bo Peep »

My son was scoring 90% plus on papers where the time limit was 50mins or less and he was normally finishing the paper way ahead of time, which was really encouraging. However, when we started doing the 12 questions in 6 mins with Nfer papers he seems to panic due to awareness of how fast the time goes.

Any tips?

Post by Guest »

someone on this site said to let your child sit for 30 seconds to see how long it really is. That's a good idea.
TammyD

Pressure

Post by TammyD »

I think it seems more pressurised when they have to do the Non Verbal in timed sections.
I wish it was more like the Verbal test.
Bo Peep

Post by Bo Peep »

I agree entirely. These poor kids are only ten years old and sitting such an important exam - no retake net to fall back on; no second chances. I wonder why the exam is made so pressurised in the case of NVR? I too wish it was a 50 min timed paper like the VR one. I've said on this site somewhere else that when my eldest son took his 11plus we thought it would be just that - 50 mins, so he planned to skip the ones he found hardest and go back to them. The actual test was a horrible shock - but thank the Lord he passed anyway.

My younger son has now got the hang of timing and is working at a great pace, even having time to go back and check his answers. Sitting silently for 30 seconds to see how long it actually is was a fantastic tip and gave him such a confidence boost. My thanks to this site and the contributors.