Evidence for Special Access Panel

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kesi68

Evidence for Special Access Panel

Post by Kesi68 »

Hi

Does anyone one know if I need to get an Ed Psych report for my daughter to get "reasonable adjustments" at the Bucks 11+or is school SENCO report enough?

We, and the school are sure my daughter is dyslexic, we have never had her officially diagnosed, as there didn't seem much point as her current school give her the help she needs. (We moved her from state to independent for this reason 18 months ago.)
We are out of county and want her to go to a Bucks grammar. We cannot afford to pay school fees for an independent high school.
She is an able child and improved dramatically since getting the extra help.
We got a letter from the GP to refer her to an ed psych on the NHS, but she is obviously a low priority and we haven't heard anything, this was 6 months ago!
Private Ed Psych reports are very expensive, do we need one to be considered for "reasonable adjustments" She will need a reader and extra time, she currently gets this at her school. I would really appreciate any help/ advice.

many thanks
Kesi68
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think you would need a proper diagnosis - or a statement (and you are too late for this).

I have never heard of a reader being allowed for 11+ nor of a pupil in a GS needing one (I have been a GS SENCo) - I think you would be advised to get a full report done. Extra time will not be generous e.g. if you are allowed 25% in exams you will not get 25% in the 11+.

Good luck with this - PM me if you like - I presume you are aware that you will need to register for the 11+ as you live out of county? Have you also checked you live near enough to a school to be likely to allocated a place if she qualifies? Much more info in the Bucks section.
hetty wainthrop

Evidence for special access panel

Post by hetty wainthrop »

A lot will depend on your loacal authority and how much emphasis your present school can stress for the need for extra time etc. Both of my children have dyscalculia- diagnosed via ed. psych. When my son took the 11+ several years ago, his headmaster was extremely supportive and ensured that all the necessary arrangements were made for him to have the full extra 25% time in the entrance test. However when my daughter came to thake the test last year, there had been a change of head at the school who is very 'anti' GS and would not support the request for extra time. Unfortunately my daughter failed the test by just one mark. My advice would be get that ed psych report as soon as possible to try and get the extra time allocation- I know it's expensive but an awful lot cheaper than several years of school fees!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Last year, in the LA in question, the following specific time allowances were made:
15 pupils - 5 minutes
2 pupils - 10 minutes
3 pupils - 12.5 minutes

and 11 pupils were allowed a reader.
Etienne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Kesi68

The deadline for submitting information is 18 June.

With regard to readers, the DDA states...

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/assets/conten ... _Entry.pdf

5. Use of a reader/prompter

a. What can be done? - The child would be tested separately from other
children in the class and the reader would read the instructions for the test
and each question type to the child. The reader would normally be the child’s Learning Support Assistant (LSA).

b. What evidence is required? – Confirmation from the head/SENCO of the
normal adjustments undertaken for a child. This would normally be for a child who was used to working regularly with a reader in the classroom.

c. Who would this be appropriate for? – Children with a reading age much lower than their actual age. Use of a prompter may be considered for a child with severe attention difficulties, this would be to ensure that the child keeps on task.

d. Other matters to consider – testing the child apart from his cohort is
necessary because of the need for conversation.

Patricia
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You would need the proper reading tests to have been administered to prove reading age.
Kesi68

Post by Kesi68 »

Thank you all for your help.
Etienne, do you think I need a formal diagnosis from an Ed psych, the guidlines published by bucks say reports from "proffessionals" Her SENCO has a dyslexia certificate, not diploma so cant officially diagnose. Her reading age is about 2 years below her chronological age, but last term she was scored as a 4a in English!! (She is in year 5) She apparently has a very "quirky" writing style which really helps!
Interesting that 11 pupils had a reader last year.
Thank you all for your advice, I have sent off for application pack and the school have got the relevant paperwork to submit.Just need to know if I should arrange for Ed psych asap!

Kesi68