VI & Aspergers - Resources and Adjustments for 11+ ?

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tahu

Post by Tahu »

Etienne, thank you, the link is very helpful.

So, adapting the question booklet and answer sheet are mentioned separately. And this particular LEA (Buckinghamshire) can provide test papers in the required format for familiarisation and practice, that's very encouraging. Do they provide test papers for all children, or just if adaptation is necessary?
chad

Post by chad »

Hi Tahu

I will pm you over the next day or so........ have to dash out now.....another meeting to go to!!!! :roll:
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
KB

Post by KB »

Hi
I meant having a TA for his physical needs (finding way to seat/ loo etc) if you are worried thsi needs to be someone he knows.
I am sure the person sitting with him during the test would have to be an independent member of staff (in our case from the school where the test was sat).
There is an issue about being able to see the answers because they help. We had the answer sheet enlarged so the answers for each section of the question paper were together - about 5 on an A4 sheet I think but not sure. Would imagine you can sort out the details to suit. My son then read the correct answer & the teacher marked it on the answer paper in the normal way.
As I say, this in a different area to the ones you are looking at. He had the option of dictatiing for maths & comprehension but didn't need to.
Tahu

Post by Tahu »

KB, thank you so much for sharing your experience, and sorry more questions coming up...

Was your child also asked to mark the answers on the enlarged answer sheet or was it just there to look at the possible answers? Was the question booklet enlarged as well? Did they provide you with enlarged sample paper and answer sheet before the test to get used to the layout? Did your child get extra time? Were they in a separate room?

BTW, how closely do the nferNelson published practice papers resemble the real tests in layout and look?

As for the amanuensis or the TA helping him for physical needs (I assumed they would be the same person), I imagine they would have to be from the school where he is sitting the exam or someone from the school borough. I cannot imagine his current school sending his usual TA to another borough miles and miles away to help him with an exam that is not supported in our borough. My son can be really unpredictable with people he doesn't know. He could either clam up and not speak to them at all, or the opposite - become very chatty and tell them his life story :roll:

I would be very grateful if other parents would also share their experience, especially if they required adapted tests, extra time, amanuensis, separate room, etc.
dyslexichelpneeded

Post by dyslexichelpneeded »

I have a friend who has excellent experience of the SEN dept at Burnham Grammar - you might want to consider there as well, if it's within range.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Tahu wrote:Etienne, thank you, the link is very helpful.

So, adapting the question booklet and answer sheet are mentioned separately. And this particular LEA (Buckinghamshire) can provide test papers in the required format for familiarisation and practice, that's very encouraging. Do they provide test papers for all children, or just if adaptation is necessary?
They provide familiarisation and practice papers for all children, and in addition are willing to provide these test papers in the required format for those needing reasonable adjustments.

Burnham GS, which dyslexichelpneeded mentions above, is in Bucks, and attracts applicants from Slough (one of the areas you are considering).
Etienne
Tahu

Post by Tahu »

Thank you again for your replies.

I just had a look at Burnham GS and it is a possibility for us, though I am concerned about the Bucks exam only being VR. My son is very strong in Maths and I think he will be good at NVR, but he might struggle with VR. Like most Asperger children he has an amazing vocabulary for his age, to the point that a lot of his peers don't understand him (e.g. telling them they are being "obstreperous" when he is trying to explain to them about "placental and marsupial mammals" :lol: ), but I think he would be thrown by 'small' words out of context, like the use of "throw" in this sense :(

We will have an educational psychologist assessment done soon. I don't really know what to expect :? Does anybody have any experience? Will the E.P. go through some standard tests or do I need to request anything specifically?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Most EPs administer standard tests (Weschler/WISC or BAS).

You might find this thread of interest:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... sc&start=0
Etienne
Rash

Post by Rash »

Hi Tahu,
I sent you a pm this morning, for some reason it still hasn't left my outbox :?: Hopefully it should reach to you soon :?
Rash
Tahu

Post by Tahu »

Rash, thank you so much for the PM. I just logged in seen it and will reply soon.

Etienne, thank you for the link. It's just what I needed to know for the EP tests. I am now doing a search for 'WISC' and see that there are a number of posts about EP reports, sadly most of them in the Appeals section :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now