Superselectives and dyslexia

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mungo

Superselectives and dyslexia

Post by Mungo »

Hi

I've just joined this forum. I wonder whether there are any parents out there who have a child with any specific learning difficulties, like dyslexia, who go on to a grammar or superselective grammar, and how their child finds it.
Last edited by Mungo on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SSM

Post by SSM »

I have a DS which is dyslexic and attends a superselective in west kent.

I have heard that a lot of GSs do have a number of SEN children as even if they have ADHD or dyspraxia, it is IQ that GS are meant to be looking for.

It would also depend on the type of entrance exam the school has, Kent does not really test English, so a child which is poor at English due to dyslexia but bright in NVR would be less disadvantaged than in other areas where the 11+ might be VR and English.

I would recommend that you do not rule out GSs for your DD, but go along to the open evenings and talk to the teachers and SenCo, you can then get a feel of how the school deals with children with SpLDs.
charliemo

Re: Superselectives and dyslexia

Post by charliemo »

Hi SSm
I know it's a long time since you posted this but I wondered which superselective your ds attended as my severely dyslexic ds is on the waiting list for skinners and it would be good to hear of others experiences
Mehere

Re: Superselectives and dyslexia

Post by Mehere »

Hi charliemo

Hope you don't mind me asking but did your DS get extra time or any other allowance when he sat the Kent test? I have a dyslexic DD who will sit the Kent (plus Bexley and Newstead) test in Sep 2014.

We have an Ed Psych report which states
"Her spelling is very poor - a standard score of 68 - 2nd percentile.
This level of spelling weakness would automatically allow for access
arrangements for future public examinations within the next two years."

I have read on this forum that people have struggled to get extra time from Bexley for dyslexia but have no idea how people in Kent or Newstead have got on. I would be pleased to hear of any one else's experiences as the registration process for 2014 is about to start.