ed psyc report and 11 plus

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

smartie

Re: ed psyc report and 11 plus

Post by smartie »

Sorry, another query! On my daughter's report, for the block design test she scored 3 years 3 months more than her actual age. I have pointed this out to her teachers but they don't seem to see much relevance in this. What does it indicate, does anyone know? :?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

not sure what the test was..was it Raven's matrices?

a block of designs with one missing and you had to say which of several examples was the one which would fit/

if so it is a test of abstract and non verbal reasoning..
smartie

Post by smartie »

It was the Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence (WASI).
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

similar if I remeber correctly ..it woulod be the same non-verbal and abstractthinking. Her score is quite a bit above her chronological age, this shows she has very good reasoning skills..a positive definitely
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

When my DS had his WISC done last year I was told that verbal comprehension & perceptual reasoning scores show intellect and processing and working memory are more literacy based.

My DS was approx. 5 years ahead of his age in verbal comprehension & peceptual reasoning (5 years 6 months ahead on the block design) and age appropriate for his processing and working memory. He has a diagnosis of AS and has just started a GS and is doing well.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

thanks morning glory, that would back up smartie's case i think..

i love this forum , threads like this show it at its best :D
smartie

Post by smartie »

Is a grammar school a possibilty then, or are her memory problems too much of an obstacle?
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

Smartie

As it has already been mentioned there are things that can be done to improve memory.

On her WISC what were her percentile scores for:

Verbal comprehension
Perceptual Reasoning
Working Memory
Processing

I also think it depends on what strategies she puts in place herself and what you put in place to help her. My DS has always had problems with writing and getting thoughts on paper. Organising his work on paper is also difficult for him but all these things have improved and he has worked out ways to help himself.

I asked DS's EP whether he thought he should go to GS and he gave me this very sound piece of advice - " It is not of case of secondary vs grammar but which school can best support his 3 areas of need (AS, literacy and intellect)" This was the best piece of advice anyone has ever given me and we arranged meetings with schools with this in our minds. It became very clear which schools couldn't support his needs and which could. We just had to get him there!!!!

Everyone told me that DS needed to be at a GS, except for one very experienced SENCO who said she thought he would struggle at a GS and this has played on my mind since she said it. Having now been at GS for 6 weeks I can honestly say without any doubt this was the right choice for MY ds.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I also think it depends on what strategies she puts in place herself and what you put in place to help her. My DS has always had problems with writing and getting thoughts on paper. Organising his work on paper is also difficult for him but all these things have improved and he has worked out ways to help himself.
This is so true. As mentioned the SALT taught my son some strategies to help with his poor auditory memory. We only had a few sessions, it was a few years ago but I don't recall going more than four/five times. Backed up with group nurture work they did in school, it improved beyond belief. There is no reason why the same couldnt happen for your daughter.
smartie

Post by smartie »

Hi, from what I can gather- verbal comprehension was 42, perceptual reasoning 82, working memory went from 54 on recall of objects( immed verbal )to 1 on recall of objects (immed spatial)!! There is no section for processing, must be written as something else, but I'm not sure what. Her recall of objects( del verbal) was also very low at 8 and recall of digits forward was 5.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now