CAT results and possible SEN

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
frustrated

CAT results and possible SEN

Post by frustrated »

Hi all, just wondered if anyone could throw some expertise on something ...........

DS2 is due to sit the Kent Test this year. He has problems with reading and writing, and was assessed at school for dyslexia using their own test, which was negative.

He does very well at maths and his comprehension is good, although his writing doesn't reflect this.

I have just received his CAT scores for this year (He is year 5) and he scored 97 for Verbal, 115 for Qantitivie and 140 for non-verbal.

I am concerned that there may be another issue aside from dyslexia going on given his scores (his SATS for last year, end of year 4 were 3A for reading, 2C for writing, 4B maths, his teacher has indicated that he is working well within Level 5 for maths this year and level 4 for reading (comprehension, although low level 3 for writing)

The test he had for dyslexia at school was negative, but the SENCO did say that a few of the scores were "below zero, so that might indicate that it could be something else". She told me that there are a couple of other tests the school could do for other things, but this has not happened yet.

I did chase it up last week and felt fobbed off as the SENCO said that her senior "had looked at it as she has more expertise" and it was left at that.

Given the scores for his CATS (he hasn't had any practice) and the SATS levels, could this indicate that there is something else going on aside from dyslexia?

How do I chase up these tests that the SENCO said they could do - do I just ask the school, or do I contact LEA?
yoyo123

Re: CAT results and possible SEN

Post by yoyo123 »

I would ask for another meeting with the senco and ask exactly what tests have been done and what they were for. It may be that he has a specific problem with one aspect of spelling/writing eg blending, auditory memory , separating sounds, but without knowing what tests were done it is difficult to say more. I wonder if the dyslexia test was the DST screening from the British Psychological Society, which gives -,0,+ as a result for each test . This might be the "scores below zero" if you don;t have much joy try contacting Partnership with Parents which is an impartial organisation based in Maidstone and helps parents through the SEN process. they can provide information and will even come to meetings with you. Your school senco should have contact details but I'll try and find out more for you. Is your child on the SEN register?

edited to add:

Bingo!
http://www.kenttrustweb.org.uk/pwp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Thank you

The test done at school and it was definitely a test for dyslexia. As it was explained to me is that the results are put on a kind of number line, the test is done is sections and the scores are either above or below zero, and the results are based on an overall result of the test as a whole.

The SENCO told me that there were a few results below the zero and that although the test proved negative for dyslexia, there are other tests that can be done at school for different things. His problem is purely relating just his reading and writing.

He is gifted and talented for Maths, Science and MFL, and my biggest concern is the huge gap between his attainment levels - he is above average on everything except his reading (the physical act of reading, not his comprehension) and writing (spelling is a huge problem), and his SATS results from year 4 reflect this, and perhaps his CAT results too? Last year, the SENCO did indicate that the sifnificant difference in his SATS results is a cause for concern and can be an indication of some kind of learning problem, but it seems to be an ongoing problem to get something done - I wouldn't be so concerned if the gap wasn't so huge.

Could I ask for a report from the test that was done in school - would they have one and are they obliged to let me have a copy?

Thank you for your advice, yoyo - I will try to get another appointment witht he SENCO as soon as possible. I don't know if he is on the SEN register, but I assume he isn't as I'm not aware of any extra help or support.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I don't see why you shouldn't have a copy of the test, ask the senco to go over the results with you.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yep you should be able to see the results of all school-based tests etc. Hopefully if you ask for this and offer to pay for photocopies you can get hold of a copy without having to stand on your head. But if not, you can request it formally under the Data Protection Act and the school has 15 working days to get you a copy and charge you for it - see the information commissioner website and the bit about requesting the school file.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you do have all those legal rights, but I am sure that of you ask and work with the school it will be much better. You need a working relationship and I am sure unless the school is particularly officious then they will be quite happy to share with you..

Despite comments to the contrary the school and you have similar aims..to get the best for your child. We teachers aren;t ogres!
mystery

Post by mystery »

No you're quite right Yoyo, 99% certain that your school will be happy to share with you without you having to stand on your head!! But some schools don't - mine falls into that category, and then knowing that you can find out via other methods is useful ........... but even then does not always bring you the info. Some schools just are very secretive and they don't like to set an openness precedent by showing something to one parent that they don't disclose as a matter of course to all parents.
Morning Glory

Post by Morning Glory »

As the 11+ is not really that far away and knowing (having been in a similar situation a couple of years) how slowly the SEN wheels can turn at times, if you can afford it I would have a private EP assessment done asap.

The 11+ is creeping up on us all very quickly and if your son requires any adjustments (extra time/separate room/break etc.) these will need to be requested very soon and you will require the appropriate evidence to back up any request. We had the HT faxing over my DS's diagnosis letter the day the panel sat to agree adjustments, so that's how close we were.

You obviously have some concerns and an EP report will certainly give you some answers, if not all.

DS's Private EP Report has been used to show how bright he is although having difficulty getting things on paper, showed a typical Asperger profile (has since been diagnosed), used to get adjustments for 11+, used for our 11+ appeal and finally the LA used it as part of his statementing process - money well spent I would say.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I think a private EP is a good idea too - but choose carefully.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Sadly a private assessment is something that I cannot afford, but I do have an appointment with the SENCO this afternoon, so hopefully I can get at least a little step further :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now