11 plus and asd

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

smartie

11 plus and asd

Post by smartie »

My daughter is in the process (still!) of being diagnosed for ASD
She has been seen by a clinical pyschologist who says she is having problems with change in routine and communication. He is going to assess her further to see how she can be supported. My question is that with the 11 plus fast approaching how can I help her overcome her fear of certain questions? She really wants to take the 11 plus, but there are certain questions that she can do but doesn't like so will not attempt them. Does anyone have any tips? Also, on the appeal side should she not pass, will her difficulties justify her maybe not passing. She has had no academic support from school and will probably be level 4s at the end of year 6. She can't seem to get over hurdles when she faces something difficult and this I feel is preventing her from reaching her full potential. She is also very good at non verbal but not so good at verbal. Any advice would be really appreciated.
mystery

Re: 11 plus and asd

Post by mystery »

What exactly do you mean by certain questions she can do but doesn't like?
smartie

Post by smartie »

She doesn't like the alphabet and maths sequence questions, although when she calms down and focuses she can do them.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

This may sound silly, have you tried enlarging them and presenting them to her individually instead of together on a sheet. Then building up the amount of questions offered as her confidence grows.
nicemum

Post by nicemum »

What is the benefit of her sitting the 11+, if she will struggle with some questions and may be reluctant to answer others and then not achieving the pass scores - is it worth it , wonder what that will do to her confidence and self esteem.

Whatever medical condition she has - she will have to pass the test with or without support and appeals cannot be based on her medical condition - saying she would have pass, if not .......,

All the support - reasonable adjustments will be provided as long as you inform the LEA or her present school to write to LEA and she will have to pass the test. However, you need to ask you LEA what adjustments are made for exams etc , might help you decide how much support she will be provided with.

Alternatively, you might consider looking at other schools that can meet her needs and get that named on her statement - if she has one.

Having said this, there have been instances of high functioning ASD kids passing the 11+ and doing excellent in GS school but they have to put the work in. It will be a struggle if they are reluctant learners.

Hope this came out right.

Also i read somewhere in this forum that usually your child should be level 5 and upwards to be GS material - dont know - dont want to sound pessimistic .
mystery

Post by mystery »

Smartie, which area are you in and which papers does your daughter have to sit?

I am sure there must be lots of parents, ASD or not, that could name some types of questions that make their children run away. You seem to have nailed it down to only two types so that's good isnt' it?

I like the idea of trying them on separate sheets when you are practising them? Or putting them on an attractive background, loads of stickers etc, turn each question of that type into a bit of fun that looks nothing like a test paper. Then show her afterwards that she has done a test paper question.

The important point is to get the practise so that she can do this type of question more easily and then the fear will go away. Try doing it in two steps as well - she reads the question to you, and you ask her to tell you how she would tackle the question - not to do the question, but how she would tackle it. Then you discuss the approach together. Then another day she actually does the question.

Sorry don't know whether this is an ASD thing or not that you are describing; my children can be like this with their homework particularly if it "looks" very dull or like it might require some effort.

Good luck.
smartie

Post by smartie »

Thanks for the tips, I already enlarge the alphabets for her which does help. She can do them, but the 'fear' gets the better of her. I don't actually want her to take the 11 plus, but she wants to as her friends are all being tutored etc etc and she's worried she will be left on her own :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Also, on the appeal side should she not pass, will her difficulties justify her maybe not passing.
I think this is quite possible, but you will need alternative evidence of very high ability. Extenuating circumstances on their own are not enough.

See:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No one is likely to tick every box here, but the more evidence you have, the better!
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now