cerebral palsy 11+ Parmiters

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nicola

cerebral palsy 11+ Parmiters

Post by nicola »

my son will be sitting for the 6 watford consortium schools 11+.As he was in the private sector he has never come across any senco`s and we have never applied for a statement as we did not want to single him out.he is in year 5 and manages without any extra help.However a parent has advised me to get him statemented at once and he should pass the Parmiters admission process this way.Does any one know anything about this?
Sally-Anne

Re: cerebral palsy 11+ Parmiters

Post by Sally-Anne »

nicola wrote:my son will be sitting for the 6 watford consortium schools 11+.As he was in the private sector he has never come across any senco`s and we have never applied for a statement as we did not want to single him out.he is in year 5 and manages without any extra help.However a parent has advised me to get him statemented at once and he should pass the Parmiters admission process this way.Does any one know anything about this?
Hi Nicola

I am slightly alarmed by your point that he has never come across any SENCOs in the private sector. We seem to have a whole fleet of them at our private school! Not sure how effective they are though, as we have never had any contact with them.

My feeling is that you should get your son assessed and, if needs be, statemented. You may find that this eases the secondary school process on more than just Parmiters, if needs be.

However, I shall hand you over to wiser folk than me for a more comprehensive reply ...

Sally-Anne
abc123

Post by abc123 »

Nicola

I think it would be advantageous with regard to your secondary choices if you considered statementing. I would advise getting your skates on as the process can take a long time. Google IPSEA for advice.
stevew61

Re: cerebral palsy 11+ Parmiters

Post by stevew61 »

nicola wrote:.he is in year 5 and manages without any extra help.
I think you should investigate a statement, but can see some problems, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :cry:

The statement is designed to deliver extra help within the state system, above and beyond the state schools resources.

As your child 'manages' without any extra help it would be hard to prove the need for help, you could argue the next school could only accommodate your child with extra help via a statement. The statement does allow you to name a school and if its selective you only need to pass the exam and not worry about oversubscription criteria.

Talk to your LEA they will have a parent partnership officer who can help.

As a parent of an autistic but very able child who is in school without any support I think you are doing the best for your child, we all hope that one day our children will be independent.

We did apply for a statement at age three it was declined but we did get extra help in a super supported state unit, who took a child who could barely speak and within a year taught him to read. :D

Good luck on your journey.

stevew61
HP

Post by HP »

Nicola

Stevew61 is correct in respect of 11+ and Grammars but this doesn't striclty apply to Parmiters as the school is only partially selective, and does state that the governor's will honour thier legal obligation to take pupils with a Statement of SEN which names the school. I believe that your child would not need to sit the entrance exam under these circumstances. School admissions would be able to confirm this.

You say you intend for your child to sit the exam, contact admissions sooner rather than later and discuss what they would offer in the way of concessions on account of your child's disability. You may also wish to contact the schools SENCo and request a meeting to discuss how the school would be able to meet your child's needs.

If you wish to apply for a Statement then you may benefit form independent evidence, (e.g. Occupational Therapy, physiotherapy, Educatinal Psychologist) to establish how your son's needs will impact on his ability to access the curriculum in secondary which is very different to Primary - state or private- and also to establish how any physical difficulties he may have will aso need to be supported.

Agree that you should try IPSEA for basic advice and come back for specific advice for Herts/your child if you feel it necessary.

If you could register I could PM you on this one with more info.

Good Luck - apologies for any typos -rushing a bit this morning

HP
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now