Dyslexia and CAT scores

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kentmum2011

Re: Dyslexia and CAT scores

Post by kentmum2011 »

Thanks for all your help mystery.

I shall have a good read through all your recommendations and get her to try the phonics check this weekend. I think we'll order Toe by Toe and see how she gets on with it. Hopefully with some work we'll see an improvement before September!

Caroline, I know what you mean about sometimes you think the teacher's are talking about a completely different child but I guess they only assess up to a certain level and that's all they can report back to you on. However DDs Y6 teacher is fantastic and luckily she has him for maths and literacy as well as class teacher, he seemed to know her really well. He's even had a chat to her in class about the pros and cons of grammar vs high school and discussed what she would prefer. She is genuinely happy with the school place she has. Throughout the whole process my concern has been that she would struggle with the level of writing/reading required and I think the comments from school have just backed up what I already knew. Also, putting exam results aside, I much preferred the feel of the high school too!!
senmum

Post by senmum »

Hope that your daughter is doing well at her chosen school.
Just wanted to say that your experience sounds very much like mine. My DD very bright and very dyslexic (called dually exceptional) this is often ignored as a disability as they "cope" well with alternative strategies to keep up. My DD also chose the local school over the grammar place she was given at appeal. There they recognise dyslexia and support her, but she has a statement of special educational needs that gives her extra support hours in class which by law they have to provide. One thing I have to say is that without the statement I believe that it would be very difficult to get her the right support in school mainly because her scores would never be "bad enough". This helps to manage her high frustration levels with her difficulties. I went early on for a private EP report and have repeated it once in the last 4 years - this has been invaluable to me in understanding her issues and helping her to overcome them.
Again - hope your DD is happy and enjoying the climbing wall
kentmum2011

Post by kentmum2011 »

Thanks for your reply senmum. DD has settled in really well and loves her new school, just not the homework! We had parents’ evening last term which went really well. We spoke to her English teacher who initially said she was doing well and was quite surprised when we then voiced our concerns but took everything on board and will be looking into things a bit more for us. They have now been streamed after half term and DD is in top set for everything which is excellent.

It’s good to hear another positive story and good to know your DD gets the help and support she needs at school.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

I would say pop the comp on as your selection, secure a place and then pop in an appeal, it can't hurt and you'll just have more options and plenty of time to thing about it.

In the meantime, look into getting an assessment, contact BDA (British Dyslexia Association) and they will put you into contact with a local association. There are bursaries available for these reports. Book a colouormitry assessment (probably spelt that wrong, sorry !) this is about £50. Again there are various ways to get this funded BDA or the local association should be able to help you. I know a lady who also managed to get the glasses funded too. You can also get the school to buy colouromitry packs which lots of overlays and see what works best, just contact an approved optician. Some colours can make it worse of course, my daughters colour is pink ! how lovely seeing the world through rose coloured spectacles :D

It does sound like dyslexia with Irlene Syndrome to me, but I am not qualified in this at all, just a mum of a child with it.

I would say, get the ball rolling, look at funding, it will provide a much clearer picture and you will hold all of the cards as it were for appeal and for starting your new school.

Good luck :D
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera