is eleven plus fair to Sen

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

happy66

Re: is eleven plus fair to Sen

Post by happy66 »

Hi there, have just come across this interesting thread.
As a parent of a child with ASD I fort long and hard to get my DC statemented (just before his 4th birthday).
I take it that some of the parents commenting on this thread have an SEN in place? If so, as a parent you can name your preference of school for your child's secondard school transfere, whether it be a Grammer School or Inde. So, illiminating the ordeal of having your child sit an 11+ exam....(as long as the school can meet the childs needs). All levels of autism compounds all levels of learning and should be supported.
Disney-Mum

Post by Disney-Mum »

Hello

Yes, my son has a statement for SEN. However, if you want to get inot a Grammar school, you still need to sit the 11+ (they will put things into place if you need, like a quieter room!). Luckily my boy passed, so he will be offered a place. But, if he didn't pass the exams, even if we named the school, he would not get a place.

The good thing is, they don't take 'catchment' into consideration if you have a statement, but you do need to be able to get your child there every day (transport is only offered if the LEA believe it is the nearest school for your childs needs!)

It is a long fight for a statement, and they don't tell you the benefits of getting one!

x
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

As SEN manifests in so many ways it is difficult to come up with suitable 11+ arrangements that could be seen as fair. My daughter with AS generally struggles in an exam situation because of her processing issues and extra time would be of great benefit to reduce the intense anxiety she can sometimes feel. She did sit a GS 11+ who gave her a quiet room on her own in which to work, but no extra time, and not surprisingly she did very badly on these tests! We did not bother to appeal - I did not have the stomach for the time and energy it would take - and just found out today that she has been offered an academic and music scholarship to an independent school so it has fortunately worked out well for her in the end. It does make me wonder about the testing process of GSs though.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Hi all

Please could I ask what criteria the school and/or local authority take into account when agreeing to give extra time in the 11+ exam, a separate room, and/or break?

Does it have to be a certain type or severity of SEN, and is Aspergers one of the SEN types?

Kind regards
Villagedad
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

It is done on a case by case basis. Asperger's itself is not enough, however, documented evidence about how the Asperger's effects the child is. The key factor many councils use is whether or not the current school is making these adjustments for tests. If they are, it is easier. If not, it can be tough. In my child's case, there was Asperger's, but the school had not been making adjustments despite having an ed psych report from age 7 saying they clearly had trouble with exam stress. However, since we had raised concerns before the test, and no adjustments were offered or made, it did make all of the difference at the appeal stage (where discrimination was decided because it was determined reasonable adjustments were needed, but that the ones required would not have been allowed under the test policy).

So I would say that if you have a concern raise it, if you know that special test provisions are currently being made by the school, it will help, but if all else fails, and your child does not pass, all is not lost and special consideration can be given after the fact to correct for it.

I think testing authorities are in a tough position. Some SEN's, like ASD, effect everyone differently. That is why they can not give a blanket adjustment to everyone with a specific SEN. And sometimes there is no evidence before the exam to prove the adjustment was needed. However, I can assure you that the exam itself can provide the evidence and that this is one of the reasons for the appeal process. So do not despair if you are unable to get reasonable adjustments up front. Just make sure that your concerns are documented before the test and if your child ends up with stress issues because of the test that you get them well documented also.