Urgent advice needed please!

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dragonet

Urgent advice needed please!

Post by Dragonet »

The closing date for registration for the 11+ at the nearest grammar school closes today at 4pm. We have submitted and received confirmation of receipt of the app form but haven't received the letter from my son's consultant at Alder Hey about his Tourettes and Cluster Migraines yet, and possibly won't be here in time for the deadline as I can't get hold of the consultant! The school has very definitely said that all info regarding any SEN considerations should be submitted by 4pm tonight.

I really need some advice as to what to put down in writing to the school. My son is 10, he has motor tics varying from jumping to severe head shaking to tapping, although not all at the same time! Vocal tics are mainly quiet clicking sounds or a mmm noise, but usually he just has motor tics. Sometimes he has trouble keeping his pen/pencil on the paper and it can affect how quickly he writes (or if he does at all) and his handwriting becomes awful! Other times, his tics are so minor that you'd hardly notice at all!

Should I ask for him to take the test separately to minimise the amount of stress he is under as he gets very self conscious of his tics infront of strangers? Also, how can I explain that he may or may not need someone to read for him, write for him etc? Tourettes is so changeable that what is happening today is nothing like what'll be happening in September!?

Has anyone else been through this? Please help!?
Belinda

Re: Urgent advice needed please!

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I second what Belinda says, but also put in writing today (ie attached to the application) that the letter from the consultant detailing your son's Tourettes will follow so there can be no dispute that they have been made aware of it formally by the deadline.
It sounds very stressful, but Belinda's given you very good advice and if you can manage to stay calm you'll be more effective.
Very good luck! :D
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

My DS2 sat the 11+ exam on his own based on a report from his state primary school that said that was the adjustment they usually made for him. We had no further support evidence other than a many years old diagnosis letter for ASD.

The deadline seems a bit early for an autumn exam, unless it is very early September?
mummy_123

Post by mummy_123 »

The admissions teams are responding to emails during the Summer hols so I suggest you send an email to advise there is a delay. My son needs special consideration for his 11 PLUS and I have received a reponse to a query I had.

Anything outside the norm is not thought about so suggest what would be ideal for you and they 'usually' albeit reluctantly see sense.

Good luck.