Is diabetes a "special need"?

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yoyo123

Re: Is diabetes a "special need"?

Post by yoyo123 »

this might be useful

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/uk/ ... ool-UK.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Jackie Jacombs (author of yoyo’s link) is a bit of a star, she has been campaigning on diabetes in schools for several years and I have corresponded with her in the past over the connections between Type I diabetes and cognitive function (a couple of the research papers mentioned are ones I have dug up in the US).

ginx I can put you in touch with Jackie if you’d like, just send me a PM. Teens years are… challenging, thanks for asking.

Medical letters certainly can’t hurt but without wanting to sound like the voice of doom, when we went to appeal with younger DC we didn’t feel the appeal panel had the faintest clue about diabetes or its impact and because they didn’t know how to quantify it, they largely chose to ignore it. As had the primary school HT. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi, message for Rob Clark.

Did an entire mock at home yesterday (not great results) but interestingly my dd was 8 before, felt shaky during the break at 5.1, and was 5.3 afterwards. Whilst I appreciate those are good levels, for her they are low. She then discussed she would much rather sit the exam in her own school as it would not be so daunting. Her average bg is about 10 so you can see that 5 is low for her, low enough for her to feel shaky. She is obviously more nervous than she admits. Perhaps working hard was challenging for her; her work got worse as time went on. Her marks were nowhere near passing level of any kind, though.

(Whilst I know 10 is a high average, so far we've somehow scraped ok HbA1C's, she's usually 6/7 which isn't bad!)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Glad the link was ok Rob, it's sometimes difficult to know what is genuinely useful and what is dodgy on the interweb.
ginx

Post by ginx »

To yoyo123

Your information about diabetes is very, very useful. I might give one to school. I know my daughter suffers when high or low (and you've reminded me I need to warn invigilators that she may also need the toilet during the exam). Your information reassures me it's not just my imagination, or my paranoia, that she does suffer at times. Like when she tells me she "often" has headaches and tummyaches (being high). Getting the balance, even with a pump, is just not easy, although we work hard at it, believe me. Our diet has changed so much since she was diagnosed! For the better I suppose. No sweets, few biscuits, regular meals, more exercise, a lot more knowledge and understanding.

I wish teachers and all those involved in education could read your information. It might just help them have some understanding of how diabetes affects sufferers. I wonder if the 11+ invigilators would like a copy ... or whether I should copy one to our education board ... what do you think? The lady at the Warks County Council is very friendly but does not seem to understand - but if she read your information, would or could she do anything? I suppose it can't hurt. I just get the feeling that people don't care ... the lady at the council is a cog in a wheel, I don't even see her, she doesn't invigilate. She would probably just read it and leave it.

Many, many thanks, though - I am printing it off.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think it would be very useful to give the school a copy, especially the Senco.. I only found that info by googling for a while ( I have enough time on my hands, it was holiday time and schools are always frantically peddalling once term starts. When I first had a child with diabetes at school I didn't know much about it and , I have to admit, I felt quite scared by it

He ( the child) was very reliant on adults to do things for him. We then had a new girl start in year 4, she had been diagnosed as diabetic about 6 months before, but she was so sensible and definitely in charge. She would tell us when she felt she needed to test her blood sugar ( ?) levels and even when she had to inject herself at lunchtime by year 6 she just took it all in her stride. There is very little information as a matter of course in schools and a good diabetic nurse or a sensible parent/child can make all the difference.

Hope 11+ goes smoothly.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi yoyo123

Your name is so apt for my dd! She is like the child you had in year 4; diagnosed year 4 also, my dd quickly took control and doesn't like help, she is stubborn.

She was 3 at school yesterday and felt shakey; had some dextrose and biscuit; still felt ill and was 3 at 4pm. By bedtime she was 20! Probably all that dextrose ... although she should not be that high.

I think she is worried. She denies it, but did say that everyone was talking about the 11+ yesterday. She's been moved to top table for literacy, excellent for confidence. I'm hoping SATS will be a piece of cake after this!

Thanks for your info. The school now have a copy of your information. Whether they bother reading it or not is another matter. I just feel they don't realise the seriousness of diabetes. Maybe, though, they will read it, and learn more!

I'm beginning not to care so much about the 11+. My dd does though - although last night she refused to do anything. Whilst everyone else on here seems to be last minute cramming, I think it actually might not hurt her to have some time off and leave it all now till the exam. It might stop her thinking about it. In my O levels (a long time ago), it actually suited me to leave it as well and have a few days off, otherwise I felt more stressed. She will go to a good school even if she doesn't pass. So neither of us should worry too much, she has an older brother and sister at the other school, they are happy and doing well, and she could go to school with them. Which might be a better option anyway!

Roll on Saturday afternoon ... but thanks so much for the info about the diabetes. Are you a teacher?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

yes I am - and was Senco for years.

i just work part time now , doing supply and 1:1/small group work. I love it!

Fingers crossed for your daughter, I think the winding down is a good idea - like Marathon runners not doing much the week before a race.
ginx

Post by ginx »

yoyo123, I'm glad you think we're not silly to slow down when everyone else seems to be cramming! We all learn and perform differently.

I'm very grateful for the information you've provided. Thank you.

I bet you're a great teacher.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:oops: :D

Thank You!