Dyslexia "an excuse for slow children"

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sayed

Post by Sayed »

HP - Nah, I’m not offended at all.
I kind of knew the visual-spatial ability stuff you wrote already, but thanks for the explanation. I’m sure it will help other readers of this forum.

I can relate that to my current exams where I kill the negatively marked multiple choice and extended multiple choice questions then have to spend more of my time writing the essays. In anatomy, as its spatial-visual subject rather than written based, I find it much easier to achiever high results, sometimes without revising.
My feeling is if I have a weakness academically, I work damn hard so that I will perform to the best of my ability, disability or not.

My bad about the A&E extra time comment.

I have no problem with anyone genuine learning difficulty/disability, though I have to wonder after reading some papers whether it maybe triggered/caused by environmental factors as children of all levels of intelligence struggle with learning to read. Neuro-embryological development is prone to deviation, and in humans this can be both beneficial and unfavourable e.g. some dyslexics may have a high IQ/excelling at mathematics but poor literacy.

Obviously it’s your prerogative as a parent to do the best for your child, as anyone else would.

It’s either neurosurgery or cardiothoracic surgery.

Oh, here’s one for the books. According to my medical sociology teaching so far, “it’s not the person that has the disability, its society that makes them seem inferior”.
guestkent

Post by guestkent »

Sayed
Oh, here’s one for the books. According to my medical sociology teaching so far, “it’s not the person that has the disability, its society that makes them seem inferior”.
Are you mocking this or agreeing?

If we did not communicated through reading and writing then some people with dyslexia would not be at a disadvantage and thus would not feel inferior.

You also really do not seem to understand what dyslexia is
I have no problem with anyone genuine learning difficulty/disability, though I have to wonder after reading some papers whether it maybe triggered/caused by environmental factors as children of all levels of intelligence struggle with learning to read
One of the ways that dyslexia is diagnosed is by the fact that a dylexics reading/writing abilities is way off what would be expected in relation to their IQ.
Sayed

Post by Sayed »

I'm not mocking, just thought the quote would be of interest.

I do know what dyslexia is; after briefly reading some research articles/papers, different arguments were put forward with supporting evidence by professors trying to understand this and other learning difficulty. Bottom line; give it 10-20 till we know the definitive answer.
Most recently, researchers have suggested that the underlying deficit is with the brain's ability to filter irrelevant data, relying on studies showing that the performance of dyslexic subjects deteriorates markedly in distraction or noise filled settings to support a perceptual noise exclusion hypothesis
LOL...I can only work in silence.
guestkent

Post by guestkent »

Sayed,

Thank you for clarifying, I wasn't sure how to take what you said on your previous post thus the question.

There is a forum on a dyslexia website, and the people suffering from dyslexia themselves do not seem to agree on diagnosis/causes etc.
Sayed

Post by Sayed »

Apologies if I did seem insensitive, I like to remain skeptical when it comes to medical issues nothing is 100%. Quite possibly I'm dyslexic myself, but I'll see in the summer.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Sayed,

If you had a child with a disabilty maybe you would be more considerate.

Children who have any form of disabilty deserve whatever maybe necessary to allow them to compete equally.

This is why the Disabilty Act was introduced to protect and support those who need it.

Regards

Janet
confuzzled

different points of view..

Post by confuzzled »

I know I might have trouble here effectively saying what I want to get across - bear with me.. all of my points expressed here are purely based on my own opinions and experiences, and I am/will be more than happy to be contradicted/enlightened! :)

I can indeed emphasise with the points made for dyslexia sometimes being seem as a myth, or as something used as a scapegoat category/stereotype for children who may just purely be of a lower academic ability, but whose parents perhaps do not want to admit it. As with many (if not all) learning difficulities, dyslexia can present itself with different 'attributes', and with varying extremeties. At this point, I get frustrated on two levels, both with a basis of other people's ignorance.

Firstly, the ignorance of the people who often will brand dyslexia, or other learning difficulties that can sometimes be described as being 'mild cases' as being not 'real' learning difficulties, or not 'genuine' etc, dismissing the very real problems that people with these difficulties suffer. Dyslexia is (or can be) a cripplilng disability, and if un-diagnosed can lead to incredibly low self esteem. Here, I speak from my own experience, having a brother who was not diagnosed as suffering from dyslexia until reaching secondary school, he endured the humiliation of being branded 'slow' at primary school. He was often criticised of presenting 'sloppy' work, written pieces that were unfinished (due to lack of time, and also at his frustrations, and hence giving up part way through), and with poor handwriting, mis-spelt words, and often sentenses that did not make sense, as they had whole words missed out completely. 'Must try harder' were often the words which dominated his school reports. Despite my parent's best efforts, his dyselxia went undiagnosed, until he was offered a place at a (grammar) school, who fortunately, were hot on dyslexia, and picked up the traits immediately.
I feel there is a great misunderstanding, and ignorance of people who stereotype those with dyslexia as being time wasters, or those of 'middle class' looking to make excuses for under-performing children. It cannot be denied that there does seem to have been an increase in the number of children diagnosed as being dyslexic in recent years, however, can this really be seen as due to 'social factors', or the fact that there is more reseach being done into this disability, and therefore it is being recognised where previously it wouldn't have been!? The more children who can be diagnosed as genuinely having dyslexia, the better, as (if diagnosed early enough, and suitably nurtured) it will save scores of children and young people from having the experiences my brother did. Unfortunately for my brother, I feel his dyslexia was diagnosed too late. By the time it was recognised, he had already become too acutely aware of his difficulties, and had adopted a 'nothing I ever do is good enough, I don't know why I even try' attitude. And this, i feel i must add, is a reflection on his own, sensitive nature, years of bullying and dismissive attitudes by fellow pupils and teachers, and not an indication of poor parenting.

And this is where I contradict myself. I am one of those i have now branded as ignorant, when I say that I feel that the term 'dyslexic' is applied too loosely, and perhaps sometimes as an excuse for a child not being at the top of their class. Or, that some parents will make a very big deal out of a child being borderline dyslexia (which a very high proportion of children do seem to be), and those who are on the severe end of the scale are therefore put into almost disrepute, as many people will sweep all dyslexia sufferers into one pigeon hole. Maybe I am just bitter about the fact that my brother's dyslexia went un-noticed for so long. But I will freely admit, that when I hear other parents applying the term 'dyslexic' so haphazardly to their child, 'Oh yes, poor little Jonny tries hard, but he's dyslexic don't you know', alsmost as an excuse it really does get on my nerves. And i think this plays a large part in the ignorance of those who haven't had any experience of dyslexia, and especially those without experience of severe dyslexia. I think so many parents only have contact with a very small amount of the dyslexia spectrum, they see those with the very mildest of cases often being those being paraded the most (and indeed, it may be because the parents of that child have fought very hard to receive that diagnose for such a very long time, that they do almost need to crow about it), and think, 'well hey, that kid doesn't really do so badly, he/she isn't that different to my kid, it can't be such a big deal' and the bias or - dare i say it - discrimination has already begun.
Perhaps i paint only a very small, but sad proportion of the population, but as to articles as those which started this discussion, i fear that this is happening in pockets everywhere.

So.. almost back onto topic here.. DDA and the 11+, yes, it is only fair that those with learning difficulties are given the full and proper measures to be able to perform at their best, and be given an even footing. However parents also need to be realistic, and remember that there has to be a scale here.. if every single child diagnosed with borderline/mild dyslexia was granted the extra 15 minutes time that parents may ask for in the 11+ exam, how much do you give to those with mild to moderate? modereate to severe? is this then an unfair advantge? By all means, apply for whatever measures you wish, as if your child does not qualify, this will be another point to bring up at appeal, but be realistic in what you expect - the results you can request from Bucks CC about what measures were granted to those who applied under the DDA guidlines last year will illustrate just how many, and how severe the cases had to before anything was agreed. Read the DDA guidlines before you apply - the LEA's main consideration is whether the child is considered to have a severe difficulty that affects their day to day performance, and a significant disadvantage.

And please, please, to those of you who might read this, and think that i am being disparaging to those children who do have borderline/mild dyslexia, that is not what i am meaning to do at all - your child/your own experience of dyslexia is every bit as valid, and I by no means wish to be-little it, or take away from it at all. I have no doubt that mild dyslexia is just as difficult to bear as severe dyslexia, but just wish that there was more of a distinction made of the fact that there is such a broad spectrum.

Does any of this make sense?! Is there any one out there who can perhaps put this better than I can?! Does anyone else feel the same?!

confused and frustrated - and not meaning to offend!
Nou

Post by Nou »

I am not sure how much you know about the diagnosis of dyslexia but in our case it was a £400, 2 hour session with an educational psychologist who is well respected in her field and who carried out a battery of reputable tests. I am sure that no professional would lay their reputation on the line by diagnosing the symptoms that make up dyslexia if it wasn't true. I also understand that it is up to the psychologist to state in their report if extra time is recommeded in exams. My point is that you need documentary evidence to get any concessions at all. I cannot believe that just saying your child is a "bit dyslexic" will suffice. Even with a diagnosis, as examples on this forum indicate, schools and LEAs are not always helpful.

My 8 year old daughter has dyslexia which is on the borderline of mild/moderate. However because of the particular "flavour" of dyslexia that she has, even though she has a high IQ I do not think she will ever be able to get through an 11 plus exam even if she got extra time. I really don't think it is a diagnosis which is taken lightly by anyone. I really admire the children with dyslexia who take the 11 plus. Honestly it must be like climbing a mountain!

Post by Guest »

My son has moderate/severe dyslexia,is now ten and has been on the SEN register since year R, first it was dyspraxia then also ADD now, finally after getting him assessed ourselves we discover it is dyslexia and the other symptoms were symptoms of dyslexia,he scored an IQ of 120 but was in the bottom 2% of the tests for dyslexia for 3 of the 4 groups, extra help now offered by the school? No Expected to gain L4 at key stage 2? No Targets set taking into account his potential? No It makes me mad when some parents seem to want this diagnosis to explain a lack of achievement in their child, if I could I would do anything to take this away from my son, when you seen them struggle to write a birthday card to their friends it breaks your heart. Eldest child about to start grammar, the right place for her needs, now the struggle begins to find a school that is the right place for his needs, harder than getting into grammar I think.
horsymum

Post by horsymum »

Hi my DD is dyslexic and proud of it though she has to work hard. She is at a Grammar without extra time. I always thought she was a mild dyslexic but she still finds speaking and sounds difficult cannot, recognise letters out of context and is mildly dyspraxic. But she is still the top end of a very competative Grammar with a reading age 6 years above her own. She has been told that she is a talented writer :o
But she hates using a pen because it takes so long :(
Every dyslexic is different, some learn suitable coping methods others struggle for years, some feel stupid all are not but are gifted in seeing the world in a different way and should proud of there gift. End of rant.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now