Interpretation of oversub criteria with regards sen

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tigger2

Interpretation of oversub criteria with regards sen

Post by tigger2 »

Appreciate that this is not a GS (its a faith school in Kent)but if anyone out there can help me with interpretation of the criteria for reserved places for this school I would be very grateful..............the criteria is listed below

1 Up to 5 places will be offered to children in exceptionally challenging personal or family circumstances.
Medical, health, social and special access reasons will be applied in accordance with the school’s legal
obligations, including those under the Equality Act 2010. Those children with a mental or physical
impairment which gives them a demonstrable and significant need to attend this particular school will
qualify,
as will children of parents with similar impairments. To qualify, claims will need to be
supported by written evidence from a suitably qualified medical or other practitioner and the evidence
will need to demonstrate a special connection between the needs of the child or parent and Bennett
Memorial Diocesan School. If more than 5 such applications are received, they will be rank ordered by distance from the school and the closest 5 offered places.

Does anyone have a view on what a 'demonstrable and significant need' for that particular school could be ? Would you have to prove that the school are more experienced than other schools at dealing with your dc's situation? I know that they are very good at supporting dyslexic children. I telephoned the school though yesterday and despite the sentence in the paragraph about a mental or physical impairment was told that these reserved places do not apply to children with Sen. This is why I would appreciate an interpretation !!

Dd's dyslexia has not just impaired her attainment in her schoolwork but it has affected her confidence at school massively since year 1 and she has been bullied. She is very quiet at school.She would prefer to go to this school to have a fresh start...only two other dc's in her class are applying but best of all her cousin hopes to go there next year too and she has two cousins already there too. She could travel with her cousin...they are very close and this would help her enormously. We would not get the 'at the heart of the church' standard of church reference needed to be otherwise in with a chance. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Many thanks in advance
Tigger
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now