Extra time allowances for exams generally and the 11+

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hera

Extra time allowances for exams generally and the 11+

Post by Hera »

In recent year 4 assessment Sats my daughter said she found it hard to concentrate and kept losing her place because of her tics caused by Tourettes. At the moment the school makes no allowances for this. I had spoken to her teacher who dealt with some bullying in class but had not shared with other teachers in the school. I spoke to the head who said he would let other teachers know. Should I be making an appointment with the senco teacher? Is this the kind of situation where additional allowances might be made for a child in exams even if she is coping well academically? Also if allowances are made in school or 11+ exams would she be put in a room on her own and could this have a negative impact on concentration. This time next year I will be applying for her to sit 11+ exams. Any advice from anyone who has been in a similar if not exactly the same situation would be much appreciated.
mystery

Re: Extra time allowances for exams generally and the 11+

Post by mystery »

Best thing is to read for yourself the rules about obtaining extra time e.g. For the 11plus find out from the test publisher what they recommend as the criteria for extra time. For ks2 tests find out from dfe / qca.

I think you may need to be in another room if you have extra time as otherwise what happens at the normal end time? You should ask your school how they administer extra time in 11plus and ks2 tests. They will probably do it differently in each.

In ks2 tests you might have the disturbance of readers in the extra time room. So it could be swings and roundabouts.
KhadijahA-R

Re: Extra time allowances for exams generally and the 11+

Post by KhadijahA-R »

Hi, my ds has ASD and is taking the 11+ next week in Redbridge. He is going to be in a separate room, with 25% extra time, and a break half way through. This was at the request of his psychiatrist.
I don't think it would have been possible without it being medically backed up.
I think they also took into account a report from his teacher and senco.
HTH
x