High functioning ASD and help in grammar schools

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rupert012345

High functioning ASD and help in grammar schools

Post by rupert012345 »

Hi,
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could share their child with ASD's experience after joining a grammar school. Some of my queries
- could they cope with the work at GCSE or A levels
- Did they get any help in the curriculum if any organisational or mild language difficulties
- Did they just have to cope as a normal child
- were teachers supportive or felt that a grammar school was not the right place
- How did they cope with the extra social responsibilities that come with secondary school.

I am trying to look for an appropriate school for my child 10 years old with high functioning ASD who seems to have coped academically till now and possibly has a good chance of getting into a grammar school.
Any experiences in south London and kent area would be appreciated.
Regards
yoyo123

Re: High functioning ASD and help in grammar schools

Post by yoyo123 »

It depends very much on the individual child and the individual school. Some secondary schools are wonderful for SEN, others less so. Have a look around various schools and see how they 'feel', a child with ASD needs to feel at home in a school and routines explained before hand ( as I am sure you know!). Make sure that the transition is well managed, the primary and secondary Sencos will liaise, maybe arrange visits to the next school. We have organised a board with photos of the canteen , hall , playground , form teacher etc , in the past, so that it was not unknown.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now