Adhd.

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Adhd.

Post by Amber »

One of my children has a close friend with ADHD and this child is the warmest, loveliest person ever - a huge asset to any class with continuing wit, sensitivity and a great sense of loyalty. Just needs to go and let off steam sometimes; no one would ever say this person's impact was anything less than hugely positive. This DC is one of my favourite friends to have over - always polite and lovely to me and inclusive of the entire family. Oh, and dead clever too. 8)
moved

Post by moved »

A little sensitivity can go a long way and some tolerance takes us a lot further.

Please remember that everyone's child has a right to an education and every parent the right to be supported.

Chattering is often the biggest cause of disruption in any class, rather than a child on medication.

Welcome to the forum adhddad. I hope you find a great school for your son. I have taught plenty of ADHD and add children and see no reason why they shouldn't do well in a grammar. Lively discussion is often precipitated by children with ADHD.
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

In general I feel that if my dc passes the selective test then for sure he should be entitled to a gs place. The sen I feel will always be a little bit of problem regardless of which secondary school he goes too. I understand some parents would frown at sen kids because they fell it will have a negative impact on the rest of the class. My last word is that if my dc passes I would almost certainly let him go the school of his choice and not let his sen hold him back.

Thanku all for the replys.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My oldest son goes to an all boys GS - he was assessed for autism but, effectively, didn't register as this although was described as showing asd behaviours - I was subsequently trained to assess for autism and there are certainly boys on the spectrum there (unsurprisingly as many children with autism are high functioning). There are also boys with adhd and there are also boys who just have poor behaviour! I don't think your son will have any issues as long as he is academic enough!! Good luck!
whichwitch

Post by whichwitch »

My son has ADHD and is achieving highly at his GS. Go for it ADHDDad!
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

That is truely inspiring to know that children with adhd can not only just make gs but also be a success there.

:D
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

adhdad wrote:That is truely inspiring to know that children with adhd can not only just make gs but also be a success there.

:D
Bit of a blast from the past adhdad, but did your son go to grammar or elsewhere? Is he happy with where he is? My ds has recently been diagnosed and will be taking the exam in September, so observations from others in a similar position would be good to hear.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sorry I can't give you past experience stories but logic dictates that there must always have been children with ADHD, add, aspergers, autism, dyslexia etc at grammar school so long as they passed the test.

I would guess that one of my children is on the spectrum. I would think that they are no more likely to have difficulties of any sort at grammar school than at a non-selective.

Good luck.
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

Hello, my ds will also be taking the exam in the coming months. The way I feel now is that if he passes and gets in, he will deserve his place. With my ds I have to give him lots of support with structuring his time and work, this may be something you want to look at for your ds. Above all I think just keep positive and keep all your options open.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Thank you both for your responses.

We are now focussing efforts on getting ds organised and the school are finally getting on board which is helping. He has picked the school he wants to go to and is unwavering with his choice. We've tried opening his mind to other schools but he doesn't want to know. He actually asks for work so he can improve his chances of passing. This will of course be good as long as he passes; I can't bear to think what will happen if he doesn't. Your sensible words help mystery - my GP said that you would find most males on the autism spectrum, but very often go undiagnosed and are just described as full-on or lively. I see some lads at his school who look more of a handful than ds but aren't diagnosed, so I think you are right, there probably are many more children out there with these conditions but don't know it. Good luck to your ds adhdad.