Adhd.

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

adhdad

Adhd.

Post by adhdad »

Hello to you all. I was just wondering if anyone has any experiences or advice about dc with adhd. Does anyone know of dc actually getting into a grammar who had adhd. My ds has adhd, I would really love to hear from anybody with any pieces of advice or experiences regarding the eleven plus.
Guest55

Re: Adhd.

Post by Guest55 »

As a former SENCO I can assure you that ADHD and ADD are in Bucks GS and perform well. When you visit make sure you speak to the SENCo about the support your DC might expect.
Last edited by Guest55 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
adhdad

Post by adhdad »

thankyou for the reply. Ive had some dealings with senco at ds current primary school. Overall I can say that they were not much help in the ds pre medicne days. If anything I can safely say they were a constant source of pressure and stress for me. Now ds takes his meds they dont really want to bother to interact with me at all. Id say we have mayb 2 or three meetings a year, lasting around 15 minutes each time. At the meetings we generally discuss his behaviour issues and in all honesty I dont believe they do a lot for him. Luckily enough his school wrok is up to a decent standard and hence we may give the gs test a shot.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Well he should be on the SEN register and have a support plan even if he is on medication.

I hope your experiences of support are better at Secondary.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Is it not more a question of the support that can be expected by the other pupils in his class? If the child with special needs is working well but still has issues then those issues are impacting on the teachers and his classmates rather than the child itself surely?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No magwich2 - ADHD students can often be a huge benefit to their classmates and certainly not the reverse.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

magwich2 wrote:Is it not more a question of the support that can be expected by the other pupils in his class? If the child with special needs is working well but still has issues then those issues are impacting on the teachers and his classmates rather than the child itself surely?
This would be a potential issue regardless of which school they go to, whether it is a GS or comp.

Why should he be not be encouraged to go to a from GS because he has a SEN?

ADHD dad, if you feel he will benefit from a gs education, then talk to their SENCO. See if you get a feeling that they would actually be helpful and positive about your son. Tbh, that's goes for any secondary school you are thinking about. It will an important part of your school decision.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

That is very interesting Guest 55 - in what way exactly?
d2001

Post by d2001 »

my son will be going to GS next year. If there is anyone with ADHD or SEN in his class, I have always suggested he be as warm and helpful as possible. I think if you child has ADHD but is bright and intelligent (most ADHD kids are) and if the child will benefit from GS then they should be encouraged... only my 2 pence worth....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

ADHD students are often brilliant mathematicians and have some very novel solution techniques and ideas which the whole class can benefit from.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now