Keen to try for Grammar school but underperforming in yr3

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

IncyWincy

Keen to try for Grammar school but underperforming in yr3

Post by IncyWincy »

My eight year old has been caught up in the 11+ process and talks a lot about wanting to follow in his older sisters footsteps and to go to a grammar.

I really admire his enthusiasm but am struggling to know what to do for the best with managing his expectations.
Despite being one of the eldest in his year he seems to be one of the lower performers, his reading age is below chronological age and spelling age over a year below actual age. His writing is very difficult to understand, even if he copies something it bears little resemblance to the text he is copying, with multiple different spellings of the same words.

We wondered if he might be dyslexic so after discussion with the school the SENCO went through the 'Aston test' with him. He had very high scores in most measures, coming out at around age 11 so 2-3 years above his chronological age. The only low score was in 'Auditory Sequential Memory', this contrasted significantly with the other measures but actually was only a little below his chronological age. They say that he doesn't have a dyslexic profile.

We're not really sure what to do now, obviously the 11+ is a long way off but we don't want him to build up his hopes over all that time if he has no chance of qualifying. At the same time we are sure he is pretty intelligent so feel we should do whatever we can to tackle his under performance and help him do the best he can (whichever school he goes to) but don't really know what or how. We have lots of workbooks at home and extra spelling/writing materials from school and encourage him to do what we can but it can be a bit of a battle!

Any advice?
MamaBear

Re: Keen to try for Grammar school but underperforming in yr

Post by MamaBear »

Hi incywincy,

I think its so great how you are willing to help him reach his potential. I've been really touched by the amazing loving parents on this forum.

You have time to start now, speak to his teacher pin point his weaknesses, do a little bit every day, even in the hols. He can get there. Your ds is motivated so that's an advantage already- even if he doesn't get in, all that extra work will not be wasted and he will feel proud that he did his best.

Go for it!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I THINK, though others more experienced will be able to advise fully, that, in some circumstances, DC are able to type tests or do them via the computer, which might help your DS.

I agree with Mamabear. A little bit of practise every day (or most days!) all help. A lot of this information needs 'bedding in' for any child, so little and often is the way to go.

And you've come to the right forum for lots of support and advice! :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

If he is in year 3 you have got plenty of time to work on his auditory memory. Play games like " I went to market and I bought.." , you can adapt that to all sorts of things. Get him to relay messages, building them up in complexity gradually.
Some people find it easier to remember things by categorising them or making up a little story.

Try googling 'games to improve auditory memory in children' ( or kids) there are some really good ideas on t'internet
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

IncyWincy

If SENCO has no specific concerns, then Mamabear's suggestion of talking to class teacher is a really good one. Check what her/his main concerns are and began work on them. For example, 5 minutes of handwriting practice every other day. Another day practice spellings, if he is working on his 100/200 high frequency words that they learn at school, he could practice them. Actually, that is a point - does your child do well in spelling tests, but not so well in his writing? This is worth checking with the teacher, as some children can learn spellings for tests very well and then not use them properly in their work because they are too busy remembering all the other things you have to remember when writing! My daughter did this. Her teacher told me not to worry and she was right, come secondary school, her spelling in work improved hugely. She is in top set for English and loving it. Obviously try to get him to read to you regularly, but also just as important, make sure you read to him every day.

Regarding auditory memory skills, things like, clapping back a pattern that you have clapped is good, getting them to follow a list of instructions, ie touch your nose, then stand up. Gradually you can add more instructions.

Good luck, your child is very lucky to have a parent who wants to support him.