Can a Statement be a disadvantage?

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
didcot2002

Can a Statement be a disadvantage?

Post by didcot2002 »

Hi there (Sorry moderators - I have posted this here as well as on the Kent forum)

I haven't posted here for quite some time so I hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question.... :D

My son has a Statement of Special Educational Needs. He has ADD/ADHD which is now very well managed with medication. In retrospect we were 'lucky' to get a Statement for him 5 years ago - we certainly wouldn't get one now.

According to his current Head teacher it is extremely likely that he will pass the Kent Test (she has lots of evidence to support a HT appeal if necessary) so we are looking at our local Grammar with a mind to him going there.

My question is - Will the Statement be a disadvantage in the admissions process? The Senco at the Grammar told us that there are no Statemented children in the school what-so-ever. This has rung alarm bells for us!

I should also say that our daughter is already at the Grammar school in year 8 and we live about 500 meters from the school so ds ticks lots of boxes for a place.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this?

Thanks in advance.
yoyo123

Re: Can a Statement be a disadvantage?

Post by yoyo123 »

When is the next Annual Review of his statement? The last one before Secondary school also deals with his secondary placement, although each year it looks to see if the statement is still relevant and needed, or whether it needs to be amended. I suggest you talk to the Senco at his primary and also the SEN Officer who is in charge of his case. (Should be named on the statement and any letters, but they are very helpful if you ring.)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now