Need to change schools

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Clare

Need to change schools

Post by Clare »

Hi

My son has Aspergers and is coping well academically in a Grammar school. However he is struggling very badly with the social side. The school aren't very supportive and I wondered if anyone knows of any good schools with provision for Aspergers children.

Thank you
kenyancowgirl

Re: Need to change schools

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Are you restricted to a particular area and, if so, where?
chad

Post by chad »

As you child is achieving well academically are you sure that changing schools is the only choice? Have you exhausted all 'support' at the school. I would doubt they would like to think that they are failing to support a pupil.

Children with Aspergers do struggle with the social aspect of school and this is particularly apparent in the teenage years. I do sympathise as my child (now 18) went through the same experience. He lacked the understanding of social nuances and this made him 'different' and not part of a 'gang'. With the help of the SEN co-ordinator we put in place some coping strategies that allowed him to remove himself from situations when he was not comfortable.

This 'difference' will still be there.. even when deciding on a school move. In my personal opinion it will diminish as your child, and their peers, get older.... 6th form and university has been so much better but not without its hiccups.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I do think the school's SENCO ought to be able to help. Grammar schools by their nature are populated with children with all sorts of different needs that go hand in hand with high intelligence. I also agree with chad that things improve with age; but I think this applies to all boys, not just those with Aspergers! I bet there are plenty of others who don't fit in with everyone else. We've certainly found my supposedly normal spectrum son has relaxed and settled into friendships in year 10, whereas, although generally happy, he never fitted into any "gang" in earlier years.
Clare

Post by Clare »

Thanks for your responses but things have gone from bad to untenable.

My son unfortunately has told everyone he has Aspergers and also that he is bisexual which hasn't gone down well in a all boys school. He has had terrible abusive texts on his phone including one where a boy suggests knifing him.

The school have had little sympathy and in fact don't seem to understand autism. He has had counselling once a week but this has been from an untrained counsellor although they have a trained one.

One of the boys told my son that his life is messed up and to start self harming. Another boy told him to go on the train tracks which he has done. My son reported bullying to the school that was happening on the school grounds. They said they didn't believe it and there were no independent witnesses.

Now he is feeling a huge sense of injustice and and most recently he sent a letter to one of the parents telling them that he has been physically assaulted by their son and that he will go to the police and will commit suicide unless something is done.

We have withdrawn him from school currently.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Oh, you poor thing, and your poor son. My heart aches for you - having had a child who has struggled at school (for different reasons), I know how heartbreaking and utterly consuming it is. Even if you do decide to withdraw your son permanently, you really need to maike the school thoroughly aware of why. If you feel able, you need to tell us where you are, people may be able to recommend schools. Are there other grammars locally that he could transfer to? Sending you and your family my very best wishes.
scary mum
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Perhaps not what you are looking for but if you have already withdrawn him from school have you thought about home schooling perhaps as a stop gap measure whilst you look for another school? If the bullying has affected him badly that could also give him a little break from the issues he has been dealing with.
Impossible is Nothing.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Clare, I have pm'd you I am so sorry you and your son are in this horrible situation.
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

OP, First of all I am really sorry for you and your son.Some schools do have problems and they deny it.
As for evidence, is it possible to show all the abusive text messages to the school ? Will they believe it ?
Even if they believe, is it a good environment for your child to be in ? At this stage it may not have affected his academics but is likely to have an impact down the line.
Do you think a co-ed school, DCs from diverse social background, strong community feel, small town/village kind of environment suit him better ?
Clare

Post by Clare »

Starting to think a co- Ed school a better option. We can't go on like this. Yes they have seen some cyber bullying messages. One boy said it was not him and that he was on a sleepover and someone got hold of his phone. They accepted that.

We are in South Bucks.

Thanks for support.

Clare
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now