dyslexia/dyspraxia

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

dyslexia/dyspraxia

Post by Guest »

Hi,just wondered if anyone knows if it is taken into consideration if a child has either dyslexia or dyspraxia. :?:
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Guest,

Yes you should receive concessions dependent upon severity of problems (unless you are on the Wirral :evil: a lot of posts by Jan on this one). You will need to supply evidence of difficulties, eg Educational Psychologist report for dyslexia and/or Occupational Therapist report for dyspraxia.

Lots of bits on this spread by area. If you post your area I will be able to direct you better to the relevent threads. Also when is the sitting for the exam.

HP

Hi Forumadmin,

Any chance of a separate area on this - Possible title Exam Concessions or something similar. At the moment bits are posted according to area. Must be difficult for to pick out the right threads.

HP

Post by Guest »

Hi,thanks for your help!Sorry,first time I've posted,meant to put it in the general questions! :oops: Will try again under the Lincs area.Thanks again!
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Guest,

No prob, have a look on the Lincs CC website. See if you can find anything about exam concessions. If you can't find anything, ring them and ask for their policy on SEN and the 11+. Be aware that LEA's are skating on thin ice if they don't offer concessions owing to the Disability Discrimination Act.

Look on the Bucks section of this site too. Patricia has posted about Disability Discrimination (March 17th Last Post dates)

Additional time is often the standard concession up to 25%. However,
it depends upon the level of "disability", "handwriting breaks, having the questions read to the candidate, and even a amanuensis are all possibilities.

Hope this helps.

HP
forest

SEN

Post by forest »

HP

I agree that a Special Needs section would be very helpful both for 11+ and Appeals.

Forest

Post by Guest »

Hi guest,

The Lincolnshire tests are administered by the grammar schools themselves on behalf of the local authority. Therefore it would probably be an idea to contact your local grammar school first and ask them what concessions they usually give to children with such disabilities. If you are in area perhaps your primary school head might also be willing to do this?? They will want to know what help, extra time etc your child usually gets in school and in test situations. If you are not happy with the outcome of this approach then would be the time to contact the local authority.

When we needed help in arranging an out of normal time test for our (statemented) daughter it was Parent Partnership who made the initial approach on our behalf and all was sorted out very quickly.

Which area are you in? If you get into difficulties I could have a word with the SENCO at my daughter's school to see if she has any pointers.

Sara
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Guest

Take a look at the following link, although it is a Bucks document, it is a legal framework. Teachers, schools, LEAs are aware of this act and must take it into consideration.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/schools/documents/ad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... idance.pdf

Patricia
kssbent@aol.com

dyspraxia and getting a scribe to support the 11+ exam

Post by kssbent@aol.com »

Just wondered if you could point me in the right direction. I am a new SENco and I was wondering where and what i need to do to get permission for a child to have a scribe. Thankyou
abc123

Post by abc123 »

Please do not think I am criticising you personally in any way at all, because I am not - more a criticism of the system if you, as SENCO, do not know the process involved. The only enlightenment I can throw on the situation is that the child would definitely need a report from Ed. Psych. (most probably local authority, not private) before it could even be considered.

Are there no other SENCOs at other schools you could ask gor guidance?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

New SENCo - could you ask the LA? Someone will have responsibility for SEN and may point you in the direction of the information and some training.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now