Tourettes

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
susannah

tourettes

Post by susannah »

Hi
My 10 year old son was diagnosed with Tourettes 8 weeks ago. Please see my thread on 'Appeals' entitled 'Definition of Disability'.
I work in a secondary school (grammar) where there is a girl with Tourettes. She is a star - a dancer - and her condition is managed very successfully.
The majority of children have the severity of their symptoms between the ages of 10 and 12. Though there are those who don't fit into this category, I just keep hoping that his are going to disappear, as 50 per cent of children with Tourettes experience total remission by adolescence. By the way, diet has definitely helped my son.
Like your child, my son is sporty, outgoing, musical, sociable - but Tourettes has affected his life and of course it is unpredictable.
It helps to know we're not the only family struggling with this.
Susannah
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Hi there,thankyou to all who have taken the time to read & reply to my post.
I haven't been on this site for a while,partly through trying hard to put GS & appeals to the back of my mind instead of letting the whole process eat me alive-which it most definately was doing !,& partly because children & busy lives,especially at this time of year don't leave me with much 'me' time !
Perplexed-thankyou for the words of hope,but we unfortunately know only too well how bad the local comprehensive is. We have two,now grown up children who went there & who loathed the place,neither fairing well at all. Its reputation in the years following thier time there has gone from bad to worse,with very low take up of places. The general opinion locally seems to be,you only send your child there if you don't care,or have no way at all of getting your child to a different school ! It's a crying shame,as the primary schools locally are outstanding !
Susannah-it always helps to 'talk' to another family who are experiencing the same 'problems'.So I really feel for you with your son's diagnosis of Tourettes.Others have posted about Tourettes symptoms easing off after a few years. we have been told that our son's 'tics' will increase with puberty,but then hopefully ease after that,trouble is there is no way at all of knowing how severe those tics will be,just how physical or how loud,it's a lottery.Luckily at the moment,he is the calmest he's been for months !
Merry Christmas to all xx
Hera

Re: Tourettes

Post by Hera »

Hi. I know that this is an old thread, but if anyone is still out there I wonder if they can give me any information on how Tourettes has developed in their children over time, how the kids have coped at both primary and secondary school, have they used medication, plus any good support groups, how it has effected taking exams and there were a couple of people who mentioned that diet had helped. Any more information on that would be great. Thank you.
slimchance

Post by slimchance »

Hi bel, my son is recently diagnosed. I didn't apply for special consideration in the exam as his tics had not previously effected his learning, this turned out to be a mistake. He suppressed the tics during the exam and was exhausted when he got home, I am now appealing but not hopeful at all. My advice would be do not underestimate the impact tics can have in a time pressurised exam situation like the 11+. Best of luck if I can help any further please let me know.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Hi slimchance, thank you for your reply. It sounds like a stressful time, best of luck with the appeal. My DD will be sitting the exams next year and as she is not given extra time at school and she is in the top groups for everything I didn't think I would have a case for asking for more time. However the ticks can be exhausting, slow her down and impact on concentration. It is so much harder when they are trying to suppress them as well. Let me know how you get on with the appeal. Bel
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now