To tutor or not to tutor

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Josa

Post by Josa »

[quote="Milla
And he, who can do impressively complex mental arithmetic - well, I'm impressed (say, 4 x 137 + 3 x 129, then take the lot from 2000, all in his head in very little time) has recently been given "targets" to concentrate on "addition within numbers up to 100." See what I mean? Imagine my rage. And this is at one of the Sunday Times Top 500 Primaries in the country. Any time not wasted on Nat Curr is squandered on patronising targets such as these which can be tabulated and "prove" some sort of pointless progress.

Milla,

Exactly what I've been dealing with at my Ds's school.
pippi

Post by pippi »

The NFER/GLA advice is here (it changed last year): http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research-areas/as ... aching.cfm
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Pippi - what's on here isn't new - it's just the guidance in the Bucks booklet that changed ...
mum3

Post by mum3 »

Absolutely agree with Milla's sentiments. The whole system has been hijacked by the local independent schools round here. At least we are privy to the goings on, by default, ie having friends in the private system. What about the bright children in the 'ordinary' primary schools whose parents GENUINELY feel that their child is very bright, ergo will get place at a grammar school? Well, luckily we have some very good comps and they will be fine there but it's the principle of the thing!!!
mum3

Post by mum3 »

Absolutely agree with Milla's sentiments. The whole system has been hijacked by the local independent schools round here. At least we are privy to the goings on, by default, ie having friends in the private system. What about the bright children in the 'ordinary' primary schools whose parents GENUINELY feel that their child is very bright, ergo will get place at a grammar school? Well, luckily we have some very good comps and they will be fine there but it's the principle of the thing!!!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Looking for help wrote:This is because he is our youngest by 5 years, and in the time my older 3 children sat and passed the 11+ people did not really coach to the extent that they do now, however we failed to realise that this is what is happening.
It is also five years since we last went through this process, and we have also noticed a massive increase in tutoring since then. I'm sure this will have pushed pass marks up overall due to the effects of standardization.

Good luck - I'm sure your DS will quickly rise to the top in his new school. :)
Marylou
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I agree Marylou and thank you for your good wishes.
LFH
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

I echo everything that has been said.It is a shame that state schools will not do more for their 11+ candidates.
Although I do not blame anyone for sending their child private and giving them "an edge", it is about time the state sector stepped up to do a little more.
I know they are only obliged to teach the National Curriculum, but if parents can be asked for £2 for a puppet workshop or visiting theatre group etc etc, why not at least offer the option of an 11+ club.Our local primary school is happy for a (fee paying) french club to operate.Why not bring in a tutor if the school feel it is not appropriate to do it.A carefully worded letter could accompany it, stating that the school is not endorsing one secondary school over another etc etc.

Around these parts many of the prep schools start VR practice in year 4!

LFH - you are doing sooo much to do all you can for your son.He is going to shine because he is bright and he has you. :)
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thank you Chelsmford mum - I think we are all just trying to do the best we can for our children.
Rgds,
LFH
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Well said Milla!

And if coaching/practising can increase a score by 10 points (as on the nfer link) then this is where the problems are for bright kids with no tutoring.