Only Reasoning!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nathair

Post by Nathair »

No help:cry: they won't give out results over the 'phone (understandable really) and can't send them out early either.
If I put it as a choice on the CAF and she hasn't passed, what happens then?
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Just rang Lancs Ed Office and they said just put it down,if she hasn't passed they'll just ignore it and go on to the next on the list, but we would effectively be wasting one of our choices.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Do you know, jobs worth or what!!! It's not as if you're asking for the results early for crying out loud :evil:

Unfortunately, as Lancs have said, you will now need to put it on your form and, if need be (but it wont be!!) it will be a wasted choice :cry:

Everything will work out in the end, trust me :shock: :lol:

Seriously, what is meant to be will be and it will work out in the end!
Milla

Post by Milla »

that is just the stupidest system, joined-up thinking or what! What is the point in creating a so near and yet so far scenario?
BUT, you can issue the CAF form on-line, non? You can in Glos. We are lucky enough to get the results a fortnight before the CAF date (not complete results, partial, really, in the main part, but enough to make a reasoned decision) but this has only been the case for the past 2 years.
It won't apply to everyone, but if you're able to access your post, you could get the results (presuming that they arrive on time :shock: ) and then submit electronically. The other good thing about this is that you can get THE RESULTS next March (assuming your LEA operates a similar system) on-line just after midnight on THE DAY - a click somehow being marginally less painful (although still very nasty) than THE ENVELOPE.
Apologies for SHOUTING.
Apologies if this doesn't tally with how your LEA operates.
Just another stupid hurdle of the type we are all so familiar with.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

It's ridiculous, it really is, The form HAS to be in on the 16th, The results will be POSTED on the 16th and will arrive on the 17th, I have to take a guess and find out if it was right less then 24 hours later :evil: We live (just) out of catchment for both so even if she does pass,we're not guaranteed a place and the local high school is terrible :roll: :( The stress between now and March is going to be the end of me, I swear :shock:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

They tell you the results will be with you on 17th (Saturday), but last year they posted it on the Friday, most people got it on the Saturday, but we got our results on the TUESDAY and we only live about a mile away from the education office :evil:

It was quite funny really, because we were in France at the time and dd was in Portugal (or Spain, can't remember which) with some friends So my ex hubby (not dd's daddy though) went to my house to get the results to 'phone me in France so I could ring dd in Portugal/Spain and she then rang my house to speak to my ex so he could congratulate her :lol: :lol:

Nathair, we are out of catchment too and although DD passed (brilliantly I might brag :oops: ) we weren't allocated the grammar school, nor any of our other choice schools - we got the local failing school :cry:

We went to appeal and five days before our appeal was to be heard we had a 'phone call from the education office to tell us someone had given backword and as dd was 1st on the waiting list she got in!! Pleased or what!

It is a stressful time, but you must have faith.

We will be here by your side all the time.

Don't worry, it WILL work out.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Thankyou Snowdrops, That means so much, to know I have the support of people who have been through it. I'll keep you all up to date with the twists and turns. I'm relying on you lot to keep me sane :P
Milla

Post by Milla »

Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought the results arrived on the Friday and the CAF had to be in on the same day. How extremely stupid. You have to accept you're going to waste a choice but if you're anything like us having four GOOD choices isn't really the issue. Madness.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Nathair,

I must have missed this thread. I am almost certain that last year the Bradford CAF had to be in earlier than N. Yorks and the Bradford applicants got the N. Yorks Grammar results a day earlier. (I remember because it caused some grumbling in N. Yorks :lol: )

Perhaps N. Yorks don't have such cordial relations with Lancs! :wink:

I would write to all the relevant bodies pointing out how you are being disadvantaged and confirm that previously results had been sent out earlier to meet other LEA CAF deadlines.

It seems very unfair. :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I rememebr the Bradford allocations (march) coming out a day earlier but not the results?

I understood that you could change the CAF if you received a result - certtainly have heard of that being done - partic in Bradford!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now