Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Am I paranoid?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:29 pm 

Recently I heard about children in China, using cameras in their glasses, transmitting images of the papers to students outside who were providing answers via tiny ear-pieces.

Given the lengths that parents are prepared to go to with tutoring, who is to say that some are not averse to a little bit of cheating?

This got me onto thinking - what is to stop a child filling in a date of birth so that they will be standardised against the youngest children in the group

Are NFER test the same accross the country - the 11+ is sat at different times depending on where you are

What controls do the Schools employ to prevent cheating?

Call me paranoid (I would never consider cheating), however, the stakes are high and competition is fierce - small differences make a huge difference. One post today commented that the difference between 19th and 110th place was just 5 marks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:35 pm 

I'm not sure. :?

I had to present birth certificates to the primary school when each of my children started but I didn't have to provide any proof when DS sat the GS test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:55 pm 

we had to provide a copy of the birth certificate with the CAF - so the evidence would have been there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:05 pm 

Just seen a BBC article about parents sending elder siblings to complete the test. I am paranoid.

We were not asked to provide any evidence with CAF. I seriously doubt that the examining boards have sufficient IT to cross reference a child with DOB

I guess if there was widespread cheating then the distribution of childrens' birth dates would be skewed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:14 pm 

Mattsurf

In Birmingham I think that cross referencing does go on - the preference form comes to each child preprinted (not the prefs, obviously, but the child's name, primary school, address etc). Also each child has to supply a recent photo with GS applications, i guess, to help eliminate the practices you describe.

BB248

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:15 pm 

does your highschool booklet thingy specify requiring hte birth certificate anywhere? Ours asks for it with the CAF ideally but says on acceptance of a place unless a valid birth certificate is provided then the place will be withdrawn...not relevant really if it was not that child who sat the test in the first place....
We also had to provide a passport size photo of the child with the supplementary form...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:16 pm 

It reminds me the drama 'May contain Nuts'. A mum to sit the entrance exam for her DD in an indie school. It is just so funny :lol: :lol: but again to show the desperation of a parent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm 

essex-mum18 wrote:
It reminds me the drama 'May contain Nuts'. A mum to sit the entrance exam for her DD in an indie school. It is just so funny :lol: :lol: but again to show the desperation of a parent.

How young do you look mattsurf? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:40 pm 

mitasol wrote:
essex-mum18 wrote:

How young do you look mattsurf? :wink:

I am not that old though :? , just watched the drama only couple of months ago. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:45 pm 

I could always claim a particularly difficult paper round lead to server premature ageing