Am I paranoid?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

Post by Milla »

Careless you said? Yup, bring it on!
Have the opposite size problem, that my DS2 may be sent out to play in the creche. He's nearly 11 and a head shorter than most of his classmates, some of whom are 6 months younger than him. Oh well. But the girls! A couple in his tutor group are, well, WOMEN! :o
Forget the age standardisation, I reckon there should be gender acknowledgement. My little one is very much a little boy and will be up against virtual adults if the sizing is anything to go by! :(
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Same here with Ed, Milla!!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Milla wrote:Careless you said? Yup, bring it on!
Have the opposite size problem, that my DS2 may be sent out to play in the creche. He's nearly 11 and a head shorter than most of his classmates, some of whom are 6 months younger than him. Oh well. But the girls! A couple in his tutor group are, well, WOMEN! :o
Forget the age standardisation, I reckon there should be gender acknowledgement. My little one is very much a little boy and will be up against virtual adults if the sizing is anything to go by! :(
I definitely agree on the "women" point.I actually remember queueing with my second daughter on exam day and thinking surely some of these girls are 14 - 15 and conversely some looked about 8. My eldest was more in the second category and we thought she was destined to be a titch.She had always scraped along the last percentile and was tiny.
In year 8 she had a spurt and is now 5 ft 3 and climbing.I don't think she will be huge but she will make an average height of 5 ft 5, maybe more Despite her height and weight puberty started at the average time and I always thought it would be late for her.
So Master Milla may became many at any moment! :roll:
Milla

Post by Milla »

:lol: :lol:
("we" aspire to attain the dizzy heights of looking 8! :lol: )
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I'm only 5'0". I'm 36 and I get ID'd regularly!

Three years ago I had to prove my age before a supermarket would sell me a kitchen knife. Being short has its advantages as people assume I am younger than I am!!
My Head often walks into the classroom and can't immediatley find me. She often tells me off for running down the corridor too!
:lol:
Milla

Post by Milla »

5'0"!! A real Mrs Pepperpot! And unnecessarily young.
I'm 5'7" (mother 5'2" insists we are "about the same height" yeah, right, I'm the twin who ate her greens) - seriously though it should mean my boys shouldn't be small :shock:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

My husband is 6'3" and it's the only gene he didn't pass on I think!! He gave my children their blonde hair, blue eyes and left-handedness!! Unfortunately Ed takes after ME for height...
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Milla wrote:I'm 5'7" (mother 5'2" insists we are "about the same height" yeah, right, I'm the twin who ate her greens) - seriously though it should mean my boys shouldn't be small :shock:
I too am 5 ft 7 and hubby about the same.
The estimated height thingy( MPH in red child health record book) said eldest DD would be 5 ft 4 and I couldn't see it happening. I was seriously still buying 8-9 clothes in the 11+ year. :roll:
However in year 8 , age 13 , she really did take off and we measured an inch and a half's growth one month. She will never be tall but if you are 5 ft 7 , he will have a spurt at some point.

Ed's mum - just read your thread.Good luck :D
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

My two are small - DS was the one of the smallest in his class when he was at reception and in year 1, then he caught up heightwise when he was in year 3. His best friend has always been (and is still) the tallest in the class and when younger they used to make a funny looking pair :lol:

My year 5 DD is still a year behind size wise :roll:
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DS4's estimated height was 6ft 5 I am hoping they are right as I kind of think it was a minimum not maximum estimate.

When the health visitor was filling in his centile chart at 8 months she asked me to put him back on the yellow plastic thingie because she thought his head was in the wrong place when she measured him. Needless to say it wasn't and he was actually off the centile chart.

I am 5ft 7 but DH is only just 5ft 10 so possibly my genes gone DS4's way :lol:

Would so love to be asked for ID but think the wrinkles are more of a problem than the height :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now