11plus - should we bother?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anon e mouse

Post by anon e mouse »

Hi Overpeck,

(like your name too). Nice to know your daughter wasn't stressed by the experience of the 11+.

Good to see its not all stressed out parents & kids.

x
tiredmum

not stressed

Post by tiredmum »

hi i agree with CanucksintheUK - the whole 11 plus process is as stressful as you make it for your child. How much emphasis you put on it and how much you let it rule their lives will affect this. My child took it all in her stride, no tutor, although she does do kumon which provided her with the decipline to want to do her 11 plus preparation work a few times a week - starting 9 months before the exam. This was low key, done with me after her tea. When she went to sit the exam she treated it like she was popping into school for the morning. I didnt even tell her when the results were due, she was out doing activites and so was not anxious about the results at all. Thats her! I on the other hand was STRESSED :lol: you need to keep it away from the kids though, i think if they are bright you owe them the chance to try if they are happy too :)
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Agree with all the postings but there is one thing not mentioned so far. You can give your ds what no one else can, which is priceless, confidence and self-belief. Keep the lerning fun and regular, encourage and support. He will do the rest! Good lucK!
Anxiety snuffs out the lamp of the mind.