This isn't right

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think it is absolutely ludicrous.
In our own situation, having sat and failed an 11+ exam last year (NFER, haha) - I hve now officially spent one whole year looking for the answer as to why my son did not pass.
His yr 6 SAT levels put him in the top 10% of boys in the country, his CAT tests taken once at secondary school confirm his very high intelligence etc etc.....but he did not pass the 11+
I know I sound like a mad old witch but having 3 children who did pass (albeit more than 4 years before my youngest took the test) and seeing this upturn in tutoring that was not happening previously, the only answer I could find was that some people had seen the test beforehand. Whether this is deliberate and therefore cheating or coincidence...it makes no difference. It just proves that the system is laughable and if only there weren't small children involved, who like my son find it difficult to pick themselves up and move on

That is why I am so interested to hear what you're saying. It seems as if other counties have stopped using NFER for this very reason. I hope all areas stop using it.

Before a legal action is taken against me for making allegations about the 11+ process, I am not suggesting this has definitely happened in any particular area, just disgusted that it may be happening at all
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

Looking for Help - I agree 100% with you. OK, we did use a tutor, DS did not see any papers before the test and I would be mortified if he had, as I too would have considered this to be cheating.

I really struggle to understand how this situation could exist. About 3 years ago there was a massive statistical anomoly in Warwickshire, where a very high percentage of kids who attended certain private schools and Tutors achieved perfect scores in the 11+. As far as I am aware nothing illegal was discovered, however, it is commonly accepted that the same test had been recycled so many times that various tutors had so much knowledge of past papers and were able to prepare their students particularly well. As a result Warwickshire switched to CEM.

One may come to the conclusion that rather than learning from the Warwickshire experience, other LEA's may have the same issue.

Of course there may be other explanations - most of the comments here do seem to agree on one area - is there a local leak? This may have nothing to do with the assessment authority

If DS does not pass the 11+ I will be upset, however, we will I will not be disappointed; he worked really hard and short of intensive tutoring all hours there is little else that he could have done. On the other hand, if I felt that he had been deprived a place due to other children cheating..... On this basis I am really glad that we moved.
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I think that if you have the courage and integrity you should speak to the school. It will certainly earn you endless brownie points on my score card. If what is alleged is true, it is is despicable and brings into disrepute all those who are supporting selective education as a means to give a suitable education to this nation's brightens hopes (nay only hopes) for the future!