What age to start preperation

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

PaulAstill

What age to start preperation

Post by PaulAstill »

My son turned ten this week. We have been considering the 11 plus for a little while but have not taken any action yet. Have we left it too late??

Thanks

Paul
Road Runner

Post by Road Runner »

Hi Paul

What year is your son in and what county do you live in??

Melx
PaulAstill

Post by PaulAstill »

Hi
He is in year 5 and we live in Crowborough, Sussex. We are 7 miles from Tunbridge Wells which is in Kent.
sj355

Re: What age to start preperation

Post by sj355 »

If your son is in year 5 start tutoring (either with you or with a tutor) this January. No, it is not too late at all.

Regards,

INEX
PaulAstill wrote:My son turned ten this week. We have been considering the 11 plus for a little while but have not taken any action yet. Have we left it too late??

Thanks

Paul
sj355
Road Runner

Post by Road Runner »

Hello Paul

Why don't you hook up to the 'Kent' section on this forum, there are people on there who I am sure will be happy to advise you.

Mel
mum

what age to start

Post by mum »

I think you should start now with some easy material, like Bond verbal 8-9 or 9-10 to give the child confidence and let them get familiar with the verbal reasoning and the same for the maths, english and non verbal. Build up gradually and that way it becomes a regular event rather than trying to cram it all in the last few months.
Newbie But stressed

Post by Newbie But stressed »

We started about this time last year...

so it's ideal time..

don't over do it the first few months,,, Plenty of reading , learning words, puzzles.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Hi

I was unsure when or how to start but after looking around the schools in year 5 my child was very motivated to get aplace. We used bond books and Maths KS3 in 8 weeks later on, we also did Kumon and this increased the speed of the basic operations hugely, we left most preparation until just before the summer holidays, did a bit during and then increased the pace from mid sep to the exam to a maximum of 3 hours a week which included feedback. I was aware that her marks were steadily increasing by October so this was a clue to ease off I didn't want her peaking too early, she sat the exam in November and she realy felt that she had done her best. Goodluck there's lots of time so use some to increase confidence and self esteem, an 'I can do it' attitude is very valuable.