The influence of Headteachers ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Suey12

The influence of Headteachers ?

Post by Suey12 »

How much influence, good or bad, does a junior state school Headteacher have, when it comes to allocation of state schools ?
Amber

Post by Amber »

None, I think.

Unless you live in Bucks and want GS - I gather from this forum that there is a HT recommendation, which I won't pretend to understand!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I don't believe they have any initially. The schools and CC's have to follow their admissions code when allocating places.

However if an appeal is necessary then I think they probably do have an influence.

Some counties allow heads to independently put in appeals for children who should have passed their 11+ and the heads in Bucks rate the children on their suitability. Surely this is bound to influence a panel, especially if the head has a good reputation for getting it right.

The head of my childrens' school will only support an appeal for an academic school if he thinks the child has the ability to succeed there. As he pointed out it would put his credibility and reputation at stake to do otherwise. He has a good reputation for successful appeals and wants to keep it that way..
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yeah, what they said! :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now