Questions for Year5 open evening.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

angchuk

Questions for Year5 open evening.

Post by angchuk »

Hello,

I am attending my DS open evening tomorrow, I would like to know what questions to ask the teacher prior to taking 11+ exams in December. Should I mention that he will taking 11+ exams, I know some schools do discourage children.

Thank you
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

There is a thread at the top of this board which has a range of questions specifically to ask at open evenings.

You can also find it here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=7611
angchuk

Re: Questions for Year5 open evening.

Post by angchuk »

Sorry for the confusion, but I mean questions to ask my DS current Year 5 teacher on the school's Open Evening. do I mention that he will be taking 11, I do not want him to be discouraged. He will be there with me .

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I would have thought (if the schoolwas in an 11 plus area) that they would have a frank discussion with parents at this stage about the 11 plus (preferably without the kid there)....

Actually I never had kids with me at primary school / prep school level.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We aren't in an 11+ area and I asked the Y5 class teacher if she thought we should progress with it (she said yes :lol: ).

What I'm saying is, ask away, even if the teacher knows nothing about the 11+ itself, she will know your child's abilities and can advise accordingly.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Bear in mind though that not all teachers are 'helpful' regarding this. Hopefully yours will be. One of our sons teachers was very discouraging, saying the local school was 'good enough for all' Whereas another was pro selection and urged us to aim for Grammar because it would be 'ideal' for him.
At the end of the day the decision lies with you to do what you believe is right for your child. Wishing you well J
angchuk

Re: Questions for Year5 open evening.

Post by angchuk »

Snowdrops wrote:We aren't in an 11+ area and I asked the Y5 class teacher if she thought we should progress with it (she said yes :lol: ).

What I'm saying is, ask away, even if the teacher knows nothing about the 11+ itself, she will know your child's abilities and can advise accordingly.
Thank you all,
we are in a 11+ area. well, only two in the borough :shock:
angchuk

Post by angchuk »

Snowdrops wrote:We aren't in an 11+ area and I asked the Y5 class teacher if she thought we should progress with it (she said yes :lol: ).

Attended the opening evening yesterday, but was a little bit disappointed.
DS levels are Reading 3A, Writing 3B, overall English 3A, Maths 4C, Science 4C. Teachers advised the school does not teach 11+ topics, she said if I will like him to sit 11+ then it is left to us to coach him ( as if I did not know). I find that they do not push children to their full potential and has far as they are above average it is fine. He does attend extra tution and is got some VR, NVR, Essay, comprehension course during the Easter break. Do you think thses grades are good enough to pass 11+ exams.

Thanks
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Do you think you DS can do it? If you believe that he can, why not go for it? :wink:

I try not to read too much into the stats and all the stuff you get from school. Honestly if you believe your son has what it takes and you are prepared to put in the time I dont see why you cant give it a go.

Attainment level expected at end of Year 5 are 3a/4c and you son has achieved this already so you dont need to panic, not every child has to be a level 5 and some level 5 are known to have failed 11+ so dont be put off.
Impossible is Nothing.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I agree with Sherry D and you have another year until SATs are sat anyway.

If you believe the school is right for your DS and that he has a chance then go for it!