Extra marks for

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

clara

Extra marks for

Post by clara »

does anyone know how many extra 'points' you get given in the 11+ for having a late july birthday??

mixed response from teachers/tutors - no one really seems to know for sure.............??
TIDDLYMUM

Re: Extra marks for

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Try seaching for standardisation, in the site search engine, there are lots of threads and links explaining how it works
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The reason nobody is able to give you a straight answer is that it is not a set amount.

In simple terms they work out the average raw score of children in each month. If September children perform better than August children there will be some adjustment for age. If there is no difference in the average score then there will be no adjustment. An August child is being compared against other August children.

In order to calculate the standardised score you need to know all the raw scores of the children sitting the test.

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... sation.cfm
http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... -table.cfm
http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... scores.cfm

Welcome to the forum. :D
clara

Post by clara »

Thank you both for such quick replies - followed the link to nfer and was blinded by the science of raw vs standard scores etc 8) 8) It does make sense tho' as clearly depends on how many kids, according to each month, are tested vs raw scores..........Now i see why i couldn't get a straight answer :lol:

DS has just turned 9 (so one of the youngest going into Y5) and he is scoring somewhere between 70 - 85% on the 9 - 10 Bonds (done about 10 of each so far and depends on how quickly he wants to be finished!) - am hoping he's on the right track??
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

Also depends where you are. In Essex (the only area of which I have any knowledge) there is no age standardisation. It's worth checking if age standardisation applies to your area.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Yes a lot will depend where you live and also the test publisher. My post was an oversimplified explanation.

Essex standardise without modification for age.
Age standardisation is not always done in months, it could be some other grouping.
I think I read that Kent standardise against the national average not the cohort.
In Bucks they have 110 standardised score as the average, as opposed to 100.
CEM exams in Birmingham and Warks have a much wider spread of standardised scores.
In some areas like Glos. The score is calculated for individual school cohorts as opposed to a single fixed standardised score applied across the test schools.
Indies don't tend use age standardisation.
I'm sure the list goes on and on. :)
DS has just turned 9 (so one of the youngest going into Y5) and he is scoring somewhere between 70 - 85% on the 9 - 10 Bonds (done about 10 of each so far and depends on how quickly he wants to be finished!) - am hoping he's on the right track??
If you have a look in the regional areas of the forum you will get more specific information about the test types, suggested papers and scores.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now