Tutor Standardising Raw Scores

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Zed 1

Tutor Standardising Raw Scores

Post by Zed 1 »

A friend's son has a tutor in preparation for an entrance exam. Last week the tutor gave him last years paper (for the grammar school he wants to go to) to do as a practice. This included verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning and maths papers . The tutor then marked the papers and gave him a 'standardised' result to account for his age. Is it possible to standardise raw scores like that? I thought standardised scores would depend on the cohort sitting the actual exam.
chicko-mum

Re: Tutor Standardising Raw Scores

Post by chicko-mum »

I think you're right, unless the tutor has actual data from a previous cohort which has sat that particular test and is using that? Sounds odd to me though. as the cohort who will be taking the test with your friend's son will be different.
This thread explains age standardised scores really well imo:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=16815
Tolstoy

Re: Tutor Standardising Raw Scores

Post by Tolstoy »

When I was a child we used to do all these tests pre 11+ as part and parcel of the school day, state school, and were only given standardised scores for the results.

So I would think that even though they may not be 100% accurate it would not be too difficult for a tutor to come up with a fairly accurate standardised score if they felt it necessary.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now