results letters - who should open it?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: results letters - who should open it?

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sherry

Where you have the option, always get the result without your DC there, whether it is online or by letter. It gives you a chance to compose yourself and work out what to say to your DD. Whatever the news, you can then go to her with a smile on your face.

Sadly we don't get that choice in Bucks, because the kids bring the 11+ results letter home from school with them, and they know that the first thing you are going to do when you get home is to open the letter, so there is no escape!

If she works out that you are about to pick up the results online (which she may well do from talk in the playground), then give her a pep talk before you both go online together to see the results.

Otherwise just lie blatantly and say that you have checked and the results aren't online yet! :wink:

I really hope it is good news for you and your DD.

S-A
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Thank you all, its a humbling experience not getting the results we wanted hopefully monday will be good news.

Pheasantchick, you have been warned and you will definately hear the cheers if its good news. :wink:
Impossible is Nothing.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

I, like some of you, wanted to see the result for myself first, mainly to compose myself & prepare a commiseration speech if was needed. We were very lucky not to need it but I definitely still think I made the right choice for us.
And sherry_d very good luck for you & dd for tomorrow, I sincerely hope it's good news for you both!!!!
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Oh and just to add re. OP and people struggling to totally understand the wording of the letters, I'm afraid I may possibly outdo all of you on that one!!! :P When we opened the result letter for the Kent test it was worded along the lines of........'we have deemed Victoria suitable for Grammar education'.......or something to that effect. Well that'd be just fine except it was our SON who took the test and his name is most certainly NOT Victoria!!!!! :lol: :lol: As this arrived on the Saturday it was an absolute killer waiting until the Monday to phone to confirm the result! :roll: :lol:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Frustratedmum wrote:Oh and just to add re. OP and people struggling to totally understand the wording of the letters, I'm afraid I may possibly outdo all of you on that one!!! :P When we opened the result letter for the Kent test it was worded along the lines of........'we have deemed Victoria suitable for Grammar education'.......or something to that effect. Well that'd be just fine except it was our SON who took the test and his name is most certainly NOT Victoria!!!!! :lol: :lol: As this arrived on the Saturday it was an absolute killer waiting until the Monday to phone to confirm the result! :roll: :lol:
OMG that is crazy - you poor things - all ok in the end though :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

:shock: :shock: Oh no! presumably there was someone somewhere else with your letter..... agh !!!

As you say - would have to be a saturday wouldn't it!
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Oh yes, certainly did have to be!!! :lol: They said that had most likely been the name on the previous (standard) letter and they had forgot to amend it!! :roll:
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

My DD has been insistent that she should be the one opening the email. However, she is diving tomorrow at 4pm so she has agreed that my DH will take her diving and I can open the email and then text DH (we don't have new fangled gadgets like blackberries etc!) at the pool and if she has passed, then he will give her the thumbs up. I have told her that the results might not come through until later than 4pm so if she doesn't get the thumbs up from dad she isn't to worry.

Wonder how many I will log on to Kent's website during the day just to check if it has been updated with the results ...
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

twellsmum wrote:
Wonder how many I will log on to Kent's website during the day just to check if it has been updated with the results ...
Manically pressing the "Printer friendly version" icon.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

DS was determined to open it himself which was all well and good except that it arrived a day early in the midst of a pile of junk mail that DD, 4, was ploughing through. I suddenly spotted the school's logo sticking out of the pile on a letter already opened and crumpled so picked it up and had a quick glance- which as you so rightly say Herm. helped me to decipher it- before handing it to DS! So in the end he was almost the last to know the good news!
Very good luck Sherry_d and all those other Kent mums out there waiting for 4pm:)