Group or Individual Tuition

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bob1892

Group or Individual Tuition

Post by Bob1892 »

Just wondering what your views are on whether group or individual tuition is more effective. Not sure what would suit our ds - his demeanour is generally confident and competitive. Any advice?
leanmeamum

Re: Group or Individual Tuition

Post by leanmeamum »

I think if the child is fairly confident and can concentrate with others around, they might benefit from group tuition.

One-to-one is focused on your child's needs and can be tailored to suit them. It is more intense as the teacher is completely focused on the child and there is very little chance of slacking off. The pace can be faster as time is not wasted dealing with the whole group's problems and there are less distractions.

One-to-one can be more expensive as you are not sharing the cost with other children but in my opinion it is better value for money.
JSN

Post by JSN »

Bob1892 wrote:One-to-one can be more expensive as you are not sharing the cost with other children but in my opinion it is better value for money.
I agree my son struggled in Spanish( because he was in the wrong set) and had one-one tution for 4 wks now and sorted so a few more lessons we can stop this tution , her recommendation :D
I think with group tuition it would of taken longer and cost just as much in the end?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think Group Tuition is much more effective because the students learn from the teacher and from each other. It also kills top table syndrome stone dead when students who have always been top finally meet others that are better than them. It is very important that students who have been top of the tree at primary understand how hard they need to work to get into a selective secondary. This can be achieved in one group session when they experience being with others who are ahead of them for the first time. I have been amazed by how fast some students can progress in a class. It only works for those who are prepared to learn from others. Group Tuition with the odd top up one to one is in my opinion the best of both worlds. But you know your ds best so do a trial session with both and see which one he responds to best. DG
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Thanks for the advice guys- appreciated.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DS had tutoring with another child from his school. This had 2 benefits, it cut the cost for us but both children had someone to bounce ideas off. It was still intense but they learnt off one another especially if one didn't get something then with the tutors guidance concepts were consolidated, but also the tutor would get the other to explain. Also when they did test papers they got used to the noise of someone else in the room. Of course it encouraged the competitiveness between them.

With DD we are Diying it due to an exam change. But some of her sessions will be with friends who are also looking to sit the exam.
herdream1

Post by herdream1 »

From what I hear from experienced mums, 11 plus tutors prepare the whole set of papers for a year 5 in advance, and use them regardless of individual child. In each session, children do these papers and check the answers together with the tutor, and the tutor will explain how to do for the mistakes made. But the next session will not include these mistakes from the previous week, thus it is up to the parents to work on these weak points with the children. If I was using a 121 tutor, I would try to be specific which area she/he will be teaching with a clear target. For the whole/general preparation during the year 5, a group session seems more cost effective for revising and checking the weak areas.