Why do children drop 10% in actual exam?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2Girlsmum

Why do children drop 10% in actual exam?

Post by 2Girlsmum »

I've no idea if this is true with dd, but over and over again it's reported. Why does this happen? Is it timing (not completing actual paper), nerves (silly mistakes) or level of test paper given?

DD thought the recent actual Latymer NVR easier than the IPS, Bond, Letts and Athey papers I'd been drilling her with, but will her score still be down 10%?? I gave her a Latymer 2009 maths paper which led to tantrums due to the way the questions are phrased and she couldn't finish in time, but she scored 48/50 in a Redbridge mock 3 days later.

Anyone have ideas about this as it could help dc improve scores in the forthcoming tests......
millie33

Re: Why do children drop 10% in actual exam?

Post by millie33 »

2girlsmum - It certainly didn't apply when my DS took his 11+ in Sept. He achieved much higher scores than he did in any of the papers he did at home. I think for some children the realisation that it is the actual test allows the adrenalin to kick in. He came out buzzing from the tests - and this from a child who had to be "encouraged" to sit down and do any practice before!
All the best to your dd - they can only do their best on the day.
Millie :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I wonder if "benefit of the doubt" marking ever comes into the equation with practicing at home ??
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

hermanmunster - I think that's sometimes true. A friend gave me a past paper they had used with their DS, complete with answers and marks. To say marks had been given for approximations of the answers on the answer sheet would be kind. That said, the boy in question did pass the real thing. I also think parents can be tempted to allow a bit of extra time or answer questions about what certain questions mean.

It's probably also the case that the real thing is slightly harder than what's in the shops. In Essex we can't get hold of an actual past paper for VR - just a sample paper. DS always finished in just over half the time in practice but had to guess the last page in the real thing. He dropped just over 10% in each of the papers in comparison to how he had been performing in practice.

I also know of a boy whose tutor advised that he might get a score good enough for the Southend schools but was very unlikely to get a place at KEGS (based on how he had performed during tuition). He ended up being ranked in the top ten and got into KEGS.

Some do better, some do worse on the day. Good luck!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I think some children can rise to the moment and never give their best in any mock situation which is why some parents actually lie to their children and tell them that mocks are the real thing! All we can do is to give them the best possible preparation and then it really is upto them. I dont think it is a given at all that the marks drop 10%. Some go up, some go down. Each exam has its pitfalls. For some it is rushing and making silly mistakes, my dd def did that with maths but has learnt to slow down and check and double check, for others it is being far too ambitious in English and writing much too much. It is knowing the animal you are working with and adopting a strategy. DG