Between results and (hopefully) starting a grammar school

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SSM

Re: Between results and (hopefully) starting a grammar schoo

Post by SSM »

I wouldn't do any extra work after 11+ but would get them to focus on doing something outside of school to keep them motivated. For us it was concentrating on doing music exams.

I think it's all too easy for them to suffer from what EM said, about them outgrowing the school and not caring. So I feel they should have something to focus on other than leaving primary and starting secondary, but no way should that be extra work.

Unless like Rob said, the SATs results are needed.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

My DD seems odd that she *hasn't* outgrown primary, she is still enjoying it and working hard in class - but I must say we are focusing all our attention now on DD2 in year 5 - so not bothered if DD1 doesn't want to learn her spellings (because she'll normally get them all right without practice anyway)...

Am absolutely dreading the whole leavers thing, only 2 girls in DD's class (inc DD) have selected our 1st choice school :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

don't worry about the leavers bit and the kids going to different schools - they are usually quite chilled out about it all. I think you will find that kids go to a range of schools in the end - may not apear so at the mo.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

rubyhettybetty wrote:Am absolutely dreading the whole leavers thing, only 2 girls in DD's class (inc DD) have selected our 1st choice school :(
I found it very hard when dd2 left primary in july. She was my sceond and last at this primary and i felt a sence of loss. The leavers show and assembley were very emotional for dd and me! :oops: Dd2 had thouroughly enjoyed her time at primary - had started in reception and was leaving in year 6 as house captain. A difficult time!
What i would say is you move on very quickly! :lol: :lol:

Ruby i wouldnt worry about how many are moving schools with your dd, only a few were going with dd2 and the same for dd1 but they both made new friends. At FP they put those from the same school in the same form - so the question really is does you dd like the girls going with her? :?:

As to continuing work - a little now and then - but mainly i told her to throw herself fully into her last year and to ENJOY, and she certainly did that.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

hermanmunster wrote:don't worry about the leavers bit and the kids going to different schools - they are usually quite chilled out about it all. I think you will find that kids go to a range of schools in the end - may not apear so at the mo.
There is only one form of entry at our primary, and only 9 girls so they've been close for years now, husband said last July that I would have to take the afternoon off work next July as he wouldn't be able to cope with the howling he saw of the last yr 6's leaving! :-]

It will be incredibly emotional, in fact I am feeling tearful typing it! 8-)
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

At FP they put those from the same school in the same form - so the question really is does you dd like the girls going with her? :?:

Yes - the other girl is a very close friend and they've known each other from nursery - I was friend at school with her parents too :-]

Plus she 'knows' girls already there, and on the open evenings we've seen all sorts of people we 'know' from brownies, swimming, nursery, our old neighbours etc...

Fingers crossed they get in - I do have very exciting news for parents of Medway girls but have been keeping it to myself all week, dunno whether to let on!
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

rubyhettybetty wrote: - I do have very exciting news for parents of Medway girls but have been keeping it to myself all week, dunno whether to let on!
OMG ruby you cant say that and not tell!!!! i will be very cross :twisted: :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Oops and now she's gone on holiday for a month.

Talk about keeping people on tenterhooks! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

We didn't give our DS any extra work after the 11+. However, his primary school worked him very hard and gave him lots of homework. We totally disagreed with this and moaned, amongst ourselves, right up until he left in July. However, on reflection, we now feel it was a good thing as he is actually getting less homework now than he did in year 6 and really appreciates the extra time he now has!
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

My dds primary school not overly supportive of 11+ but provided a solid education. Thought it important around SATs to remind dds of all the school had given - trips out, care and support- and asked them to do their best. It matters to the school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now