Age dissadvantage

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bustwinks

Age dissadvantage

Post by bustwinks »

Hi my DD has just taken her 11+ in Bournemouth, does anyone out there know if they take age into consideration in Bourenmouth, I have a summer born dissadvantage child, so does this give an advantage in the exam?
mitasol

Re: Age dissadvantage

Post by mitasol »

http://www.bournemouth-school.bournemou ... mation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bournemouth School Admissions wrote:GL Assessment papers
For the three GL Assessment (Granada Learning Assessment) papers, questions are of a multiple-choice style, with candidates entering their answers on a pre-printed sheet. Scores achieved in these papers are standardised against national criteria by age.
Hopefully this is the right school? They do use age standardisation, so your child will be compared with children who are the same age.
nfer wrote:The inclusion of this age allowance means that a younger pupil can achieve the same standardised score as an older pupil whilst having a slightly lower raw score. As stated before, this is in order not to disadvantage summer-born children in comparison to pupils who happen to have been born, say, in the previous autumn. An important consequence of this is that, in whatever month pupils were born, roughly the same proportion will achieve the specified pass mark. This is because pupils are, in effect, only being compared with other pupils of the same age as themselves.
bustwinks

Re: Age dissadvantage

Post by bustwinks »

Many thanks for your prompt reply.....its just it seems a fit unfair at times when some of the kids would already be 11 and mine is only just 10.