How much homework ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moved

Re: How much homework ?

Post by moved »

I set three papers per week or equivalent. Approximately an hour of work per week initially, as I don't want to put them off, building up to about 2 per week in the run up to the exam.

Some children wish to do more than this, if they do I provide them with materials.
But this seems very early to be doing so much work. I would worry about overload and make sure that you insert some holiday breaks, there is a long time between now and the 11+, best to focus closely towards the end in my opinion.
HarryM

Post by HarryM »

2hrs now! WOW!
We had twins just finished now, and i can tell you " It's not only hair you end up pulling out"
Pace yourself from the start, and do lots of papers to gauge weak areas and you'll get a gut feeling towards the end how much extra work will be required.
Just another piece of advice. We did not have any support from the kids school in prep for the 11+. Too much homework for 11+ may tire your DC and affect his school work. This will be a problem if unfortunately a Headmasters report is required for Appeal cases, something we are experiencing now for our DS.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Totally agree with Harry.

Our Primary school took no interest in the 11plus at all so I made sure that school homework took priority over 11plus stuff. As it was my children's teacher who would be writing the final report, that with SATS, would determine sets at High School if they were not lucky enough to pass, I did not want to cause any antagonism by giving the impression that I felt my work was more important than the class work and kept it all very low key.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now