4a Level at 9....

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
countrymum

4a Level at 9....

Post by countrymum »

Hi there, I am quite interested in the possibility of my daughter taking the 11+ for one of my local grammar schools, I have heard through the grapevine, is stiff competition, and a tough exam. I am new to all this so would think it wise to gain some valuable advice etc here before we start thinking the 11+ may be worthwhile for her in the future, so hope you don't mind me posting. My daughter is in a local primary, year 4, was 9 in November and is on a 4a level....is this a reasonable level for her age. She has no tutoring and just loves school and her literacy seems to be very much her strength...quite the story teller :D

Also if the 11+ may be a path we take, when is the suitable time to begin having alook around the school, etc etc. I know she is only 9, but just want to think ahead a little.

Thank you....
mitasol

Re: 4a Level at 9....

Post by mitasol »

Welcome to the forum.

It would probably be helpful if we knew the area you are in.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Assuming you mean that she will be 4a at the end of Year 4 and this is an accurate teacher assessment (in all aspects of numeracy and literacy?), most schools assume average progress of 2 sublevels per annum which would put her at 5b at end of year 5, and beyond this in year 6 (if your school goes beyond 5b material).

This definitely places her within the top 25% of the population or higher in terms of SATs results.

There isn't a clear link between SATs results and 11+ scores but this looks like a very good start.

How highly you have to score depends on the area you live in, or the particular schools you are interested in. The tests also differ. I'm afraid no-one can be any more specific than this without more info. You are not thinking too far ahead - certainly in our area the 11+ tests are in the September of Year 6, so only 1.5 school years away from where you are now.
moved

Post by moved »

One of the things I look for in a pupil is an ability to gain level 5s at the end of year 5 as this seems to be standard for most pupils at our local grammars.

These levels do not indicated how well a child will do in the 11+, but they do give an indication of ability.

If you and your daughter are interested in a grammar education then I would suggest that you look in the relevant section of the forum and find out as much as you can. Visit the grammar on the next open day and look around and see if you like it. Good luck.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks for the feedback, I think perhaps she may actually be on Level 4b ( I really don't know how these levels work ) but working to level 4a, maybe by the time she leaves year 4 perhaps. Parent evenings are so quick, in and out affairs, she is a delight to teach, all going well, so never really know what I should be asking.

She is on the YGT register, has been since year 1, but again have never persued this, or know an awful lot about it. Gosh hope I don't sound very unknowledgeable, as long as she is happy, content at school then I am very happy, though she does have a keeness to learn, hence me coming on here to find out a little more and whether the 11+ may be an option for her. Yes, she is quite bright, but bright enough to pass the 11+ I don't know....

Don't really want to go down the tutoring route, but is this something I should be thinking or giving more thought to nearer the time.

I take it there is a section here, on the actual school we are considering ( trafford ) I shall go over and have a look, thanks

Just did a recky on the mileage and looks like we are a mile out, 9 miles away, think they have an 8 mile catchment :0( Can you tell I am new to all this :? I should have checked this. Though just did a crow fly check and that said 6 miles ( or 5 . something something something something ) Do they go off the crow flies or road...seems pointless persuing if she is out of catchment.

Thanks again.
katel

Post by katel »

Just to say that there are loads of kids (my dd included) who passed the 11+ and who are doing very well at grammar school who were definitely not at level 5 at the end of year 5! My dd didn;t get a level 5 for maths at the end of year ^6^, and she was not alone.
gertie

Post by gertie »

My DD sounds very similar to yours; she did well in the 11+ and will be going to GS in September. As she is a keen learner (long may it last!) we did some practice papers at home a couple of months beforehand. Just wanted to say if your DD is an able and keen learner it is possible to prep at home although whether she would benefit from a tutor only you can decide nearer the time. Also she is still only in year 4 so go gently and I would say leave any serious practice till at least start of year 5.... despite ability it really is possible to peak too early and lose it by the time the exams come round in year 6.
Goldens Mum

Post by Goldens Mum »

I've just had my DDs parents evening today. She is also Y4. Reached level 4L in reading, 3H in maths, high spelling age as well. They did some reasoning tests in feb and she scored very highly in those. Tonight was our first chance to ask about these scores and her abilities in general since starting to think about GS. Her teacher said she was definitely capable of GS. We are also starting gently and doing a couple of bond 10 minute tests a week. She enjoys them and wants to go to the GS in question (All girls so no naughty boys!!)

Hope that helps