mystery

Re: question....

Post by mystery »

Some of it might be best not followed!! :D
cocoa0101

Post by cocoa0101 »

Hi Sophie,

I will choose to stay out of the debate going on here but just give some general advice. I believe that unless your child is particularly weak in english or maths there is little need for additional tutoring - there is a lot to be said for reading, vocab building, maths games.... which can be done at home in a fun way. I also believe that early tutoring can lead to a child losing their spark when it comes to that final leg - they can simply lose their spark, having had enough. I see bright children in Year 4, but not on a regular basis as I don't believe they need the additional tutoring, but in Year 5 they can just undergo 1 year of full on preparation , which seems to work well.

You should start looking for a tutor for later, in any event, as you might be surprised at how quickly place fill up.

Hope that helps
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

Mystery, i'll have you know that I tutored my ds myself with the help of other teachers but I do know that some people on this forum have done so successfully without external help!!

SophieK, it can be done, anything is possible to them that beleive! Year 4 is a good place to start though and yr 3 is good to start basic prep ie get them into a set routine of doing a bit of focussed work everyday! Every child is different, some need more work and some need less.

Whatever you decide to do, do it consistently. My ds started in february 2008 she is now in yr6 and we are waiting for March 1st (2011) results. So far we have aced Bexley and Kent and an indie.

This forum is keeping me sane till then, thank you one and all....
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I'm intending to do it myself when the time comes, but I still call that tutoring.
vasu

Post by vasu »

sophiek wrote:Thats amusing, my sides..... :lol:
Being a mother to 4 children and a Solicitor, I generally don't have enough time to construct lengthy comments. I am not teaching my own children, but I should... or my husband should, being a University Scientist. May I ask you what you do? It must be impressive for such an arrogant reply to my question!
My question is to see if I am perhaps too early to think of home tutoring for my Year 3 child. I want her to pass the 11plus and I will do anything for that to happen. I came on here for advice, not criticism.... :D :D
Would appreciate a decent response please for someone! Should I leave home tutoring for a year or so or should I begin now? Many thanks
p.s thanks to the other people's advice... much appreciated! :)

hi! My Ds is in year 5. I send him to a tutor and on the weekends I give him Past question papers to practice. Go on the website of reputed private/grammer schools and download the papers frm there. Speed is the key. All the best.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

spend timeon vocabulary, word puzzles and getting number bonds, tables and mental arithmetic up to scratch. not only will it help when it comes to 11+ but also give your daughter good building blocks for her future education.

There are some excellent games online to help. Try woodlands Junior school site

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vnunny

Post by vnunny »

Fabulous website! Thank you yoyo123!

Also, reading, reading, reading to your DC & with your DC, as hearing and saying spoken word ignites their imagination as well as bring up new words to explain etc
sophiek

Post by sophiek »

Thanks for the advice everyone! Very interesting and helpful!!!
I think I will start basic tutuoring in the Summer holidays and from then on just spend more time on her school work and practicing. I think I will pass the tutoring hat to a professional in Yr 5!!
Good luck to the parents awaiting results!!! :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now