Choice to make - what would you do?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sumstuff

Choice to make - what would you do?

Post by sumstuff »

Hi.

I'm new here and I wondered if I could get some of your opinions on a choice we need to make as we have not been through the Grammar school process before. My husband and I have two boys and live very close to Bournemouth School for Boys, one of the local grammar schools here.

We have a few options open to us as we do not have ties in this area. We can either stay and have the boys take the entrance test to BSB, however if they fail, they have to go to a secondary which is in special measures. Or, we can move to Hampshire and choose the catchment in which we live, I was considering Thornden in Chandler's Ford which has good results but isn't selective.

If you had the choice of these options, please could you tell me which you would choose and why? My boys are bright, but not knowledgeable and very laid back. My eldest currently attends one of the less sucessful primary schools in the area so we would definitely need to provide him with tuition. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on my situation. Would you put your children through it if you didn't have to? Do the benefits of attending a grammar school outweigh the stress of winning a place?

Many thanks.
Last edited by sumstuff on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarlett

Re: Choice to make - what would you do?

Post by scarlett »

Hi....I don't know if I have lots of advice, but feel I should post a reply for you !

I suppose you need to consider how awful the other school would be if your boys didn't pass and that was the only option.Do you know any families whose children attend ? Anything positive about the school ? Do you know what levels your boys are currently at....do you think they might be grammar material ? What age are they ? Extra work one to one makes such a difference and it doesn't have to be a traumatic, stressful affair if handled the right way. How competitive is the Grammar to get into ?

How easy will it be to find a house, sell yours etc and move into the other catchment area ? I don't know the area, but I'm sure someone will help or maybe have a look in the specific part of the forum for your area ?

Lots of questions...I have my fingers crossed for you that you will find the answers ! :)
sumstuff

Re: Choice to make - what would you do?

Post by sumstuff »

Hi
Thanks so much for your response. I have posted in the Dorset forum to see what people in my area think. I will also give the grammar school a call to find out the information I need about the entrance test results.
Moving house wouldn't be difficult at all. It would just be a shame to leave Bournemouth as we love it here.
Thanks
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now