Do 'grammar school parents' = 'grammar school children'?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fran17

Re: Do 'grammar school parents' = 'grammar school children'?

Post by Fran17 »

My son's school (the one we took him out of) displayed a large chart on the wall of each classroom with the grade each child was on and which grade they were working towards. Awful! I don't know what they were trying to achieve - make the children on higher grades feel superior, embarrass the children with lower grades into working harder? I am sure it was meant to motivate but I personally think it was a very bad idea. I had one son with very good grades but he was embarrassed that they were on display for everyone to see, and I had another on the lower grades who also felt embarrassed.

We were told by the reception teacher at this school that the children would be assessed and whichever group they were put into would be the group they would probably stay in throughout their time at the school, and that the tests were so accurate that they would probably stay in these groups throughout their whole school life. When we asked if they started to struggle a bit with a subject or suddenly improved would the groups be adjusted, she said that this rarely happened. Luckily not all the teachers felt the same way. What a terrible attitude, her expectation of the children was defined by a test taken at four or five years of age. Nonsense. :x

By the way my sister told me she had written a curse on the inside cover of her diary and whoever read it would have something awful happen to them. Luckily I didn't believe in such things. :lol: :lol: :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds like you were safe anyway as you never broke in and read it!!

I must have been a terrible sister. :oops:

But I'm pretty sure my sister kept one diary for peepers like me, and another real one.

Yes, I don't think there's any direct link between early reading progress (or lack of) and intelligence ........ well informed good teachers know not to make false assumptions early on - guess there are some good teachers who are badly informed though if you see what I mean.
vasu

Post by vasu »

Talking about late Bloomers, my elder one did not speak a word till he was 3 and just one day popped a full sentence out of his mouth!!! He could not read till he was 6 and was in the lowest group in year1. His teachers, rather than working on him just wrote him off. One day, just out of the blue, he just started reading. Now he is addicted to reading. He loves scientific books and Charles Dickens equally.
To measure a child's ability at an early age is just useless. Every child gets there at their own pace, as a parent we should be there to hold their hand and guide them with out judgement.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

My DD is in Y3, there is a boy in her class who was in top group for everything in Y1. I asked his mum something about the weekly spelling test they have the other day and she replied " my boy doesnt do spellings" needless to say he is no longer in top group for anything there is obviously no parental support in that house. I think that in Y1 if you are naturally bright or interested you can be in top groups but as the child progresses through school if there is no support at home then progress at school is slower. Nowadays if you want your child to do well you cannot be so passive and expect the school to do everything.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

Scarlett - At the age of 16 I was offerred a job as a trainee computer programmer but my parents insisted that I go onto A levels and University. So, yes, while they weren't able to help me directly in my academic and professional life, they did do a lot to encourage and to support me. This is why I believe not having academic parents is just an excuse.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Regarding predictions: of course, there are some table top kids who don't attain a grammar. Equal shock to the system is the news when a middle set pupil (in a mediocre primary) or a bottom set pupil (in an academically strong primary) wins a grammar place! My dc3 comes in this category.

Do 'gs parents' = 'gs' children. I don't think so. It's not a trend that runs in our extended family where the number of gs children are rising. Okay, my DH attended a very prestigious independent school and graduated from the third best university in the world 8) but all the other parents of the 6 children who currently attend grammar schools, came from comprehensive schools! (Myself included :wink:)
Certainly my DH is very happy that so far, 3/5 of our dc have attained a grammar school. But he didn't tutor them and tbh, the ideal goal in winning gs for all of our dc just seems to get displaced on his 'to do' list :)

I personally feel that the parents who are most interested in attaining grammar schools for their children are those who didn't attend a gs. Of course, lots of parents are interested in their child winning a gs but there aren't a lot of places!!!

Successful parents (from what I know about my extended family) are the ones who prepare their child well for the exam (either DIY or through a tutor or both!). I also feel that Fate, plays her part. If you have a bright spark who is also well-prepared then yes, it's a strong possibility that they'll win a grammar. But if you don't have a bright spark but do prepare them, then there is a 50% chance they'll make it.

um

Post by um »

Pushy Dad's comments were interesting - and again I still believe that the most important factor is the motivation of the parents, more than even income or background.
Yes, being poor and struggling to pay bills does have a massive impact, but the aspirations of parents have even more impact.
My dh was born of immigrant parents and grew up knowing that his father had struggled to walk many miles to school (in SE Asia) with no shoes, and then had to turn down a scholarship to higher education in order to work and provide for his family. He was made aware of the opportunities here in the UK for him, and appreciated them. He says his father would ask every night about his homework and make him sit and do it - he couldn't read it, understand it or help him, but was still interested. Again, he would go to the library and tell his children to choose a book. He had no ability to suggest reading choices, read to them, or discuss books with them, but still tried.
I see children in very deprived areas of Birmingham, often of recently arrived immigrant parents, with far higher aspirations than white children who are equally poor, on the outer-city estates. I believe that because of this, they will ultimately make more progress.
I have also seen a huge difference in the parents of children going for Grammar. Those who are committed to the process of supporting their child will obviously have far more success than parents who are not taking it as seriously.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now