Advice going into Y6

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Advice going into Y6

Post by mystery »

Who is paranoid, DAO groupie or the parents who won't speak to parents making a bit of effort for a selective school?

Katel, I'm really interested about what you would say to your friend if they decided to give their child a bit of extra input somehow to give them a sporting chance in the Kent test?
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

''Remember it is how your dc does AND how all the others do that matters''
vasu

Post by vasu »

I am with you mystery! Peer pressure is excruciating esp when you are going against the flow. None of my son's friends are trying for grammar/indie schools and they are instigating my ds to do the same. My ds is a very determined child and wants to get into this particular top grammar school. But constant hammering every day can turn anyone's motivation esp when you are just ten. :( . Stay strong...cause it is going to get worse when your child gets into a top school and rest of your friend's kids go into a mediocre secondary school.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
katel

Post by katel »

I would say good idea - a bit of practice makes a big difference!

Why?
katel

Post by katel »

In my experience it's not the parents who are not prepared to make an effort who are hostile, it's the ones who make passing the 11+ the be all and end all of their lives, and who think their child is better than yours, and can;t bear the though that your child migh pass too - or even worse instead of theirs!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

vasu wrote: Peer pressure is excruciating esp when you are going against the flow. None of my son's friends are trying for grammar/indie schools and they are instigating my ds to do the same. .
Vasu...think we do have the same DS ! Mine did have problems with certain friends in the run up.. he used to play with a few in the park after tennis lessons but due to 11 plus prep he had to come home after a short while and one particular boy was really horrid to him and refused to speak to him saying he couldn't understand why he was doing it and why he didn't just go to his school instead. It did settle down after he took the test, things just seemed a bit awkward before, I think they all realise that change is coming and none of us like that, do we !
workhard

Post by workhard »

Hi all!

I can only echo DAOgroupie's words.

The strongest memory I have is of a ten year old nagging me over the Xmas hols to sit with her and for us both to separately attempt yet another practice paper. ... What matters is that your DC wants it, not how much you or your partner want it for yourself or for them.

Good luck!

WH
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

Factor in the fact that they are 10 years old.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Meaning that they might not be so keen by the time they get to GCSE so make the most of it now? :)
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I'm hoping by the time mine hit their GCSE s they will be motivated and knuckle down without any prompting from me ! Don't depress me Mystery.....think I will need to pay a visit to the lower section on the index page to prepare myself !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now