If Your Child Refuses To Read Will They Pass VR ?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

Re: If Your Child Refuses To Read Will They Pass VR ?

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Dani . DS2 is actually the only one of my 3 who will look through a newspaper and watch programmes from the history/ geographic channels instead of sitting in a coma in front of american rubbish .....so maybe I should just be pleased with that ! He has told me all about endangered animals in great detail so has obviously read the book I bought him over the weekend, but I never see him reading although I'm wondering now if it's because I've made such a big thing about it he probably thinks I'm going to jump on him the minute I see him with a book and feels he has to do it in secret !
mystery

Post by mystery »

It sounds like you've done a great job with him. Have you wondered if he might like a subscription to an online encylopaedia ............. don't suggest this to him though. You have to think up a cunning plan to make him want such a thing, but make it very clear you can't afford it, he has to save up for it etc etc.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Does that mean I will have to spend less time on here ?!

I think perhaps I should make more use of online reading. I did think of buying one of those kindle things...but following the sad demise of DD ds after a tragic fall in the loo...I'm having second thoughts !
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

If he prefers to watch documentaries / history / geographic tv & read magazines then he must have good vr skills.

Have you tried the child friendly (non-fiction) magazines/ newspapers like Aquila, First News or National Geographic Kids?

Dc4 (y4) also enjoys non-fiction and has recently become spellbound on a guide book (how to fundraise for charities) written by a 14 yr old! :o
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks, DIY Mum.We'll have a look at those together when I take him out later .

He's into The Romans at the moment and will always remember to record Horrible Histories and then have a 10 second flick through the HH books. Had a nasty moment recently when he spotted Spartacus ,Blood and Sand which DH had recorded and started to play it...luckily I noticed before he reached the gory/ rude parts ! :lol:
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

I'd second Aquila, First News and National Geographic. My son loves them all, and loves to read his newspaper (First News) when the adults read theirs. I also always automatically hand them a copy of Metro or The Standard if we go on day trips to london and they flick through. There are usually several articles about cute/heroic things that animals have done in among the duller news. And it does get them into the habit of asking definitions for new vocabulary.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

If he's into Romans et al, there's a fantastic set of graphic books that he'll love.

I love them and love them- so do my dc :D

A series by Andrew Langley

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roman-News-Andr ... 0763603414" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Roman News (isbn 0-7445-7712-8) and also available:
The Greek News,
The Egyptian News,
Explorer News
Revolution News,
Space News
Viking News and more!

They're fantastic!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks for that ! :) I've ordered 2 ...the Roman and Egyptian ones .Hope he likes them !
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

My kids don't read much but it wasn't a barrier to them passing their VR.

When we started them on mock VR papers we found that they would occassionally lose easy marks simply because they didn't know what a word meant as opposed to not being able to work out the logic.

However, we didn't worry too much about this because while we could get them to read books and books there would still be no guarantee that they wouldn't come across a word they didn't know.

I think that this is what economists call the law of diminishing returns :-) i.e. you don't get much benefit for lots of additional effort.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Not even 4 hours worth ?! Sorry, Pushydad...couldn't resist that one. :)

Yes, I agree there always seems to be strange vocab that they probably wouldn't come across however much reading they do and after looking through the VR workbooks he's currently doing he seems to know enough vocab and earlier he actually picked up a book and read for a whole 10 minutes !Woo hoo !!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now