Giving up hope

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

andyb

Re: Giving up hope

Post by andyb »

scary mum wrote:I had this conversation with DS last night who is very bright but away with the fairies most of the time. I explained to him that if he wanted to go to the same school as his brother he would have to put in the work. I also told him that he absolutely didn't have to put in the work and do the tests if he didn't want to, but doing it was the only way to go to the school he wants to. I was also careful to say that there was nothing wrong with the other schools (just n case :roll: , and also because of friends who might go there), but that we felt that the grammar school was the best option for him. We'll see if it's had any effect...
I had much the same talk with DS2 not so long ago. It must be getting to that time of the year! I told him I was more than happy to help him practice but I couldn't take the tests for him so he had to decide what he wanted to do. Like "scary mum" I tried to explain the benefits to him of GS without putting down the schools that he could end up at and many of his friends will almost certainly go to.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

sargul wrote:due to the fact she didnt even know her times tables which is one of the most fundimental parts of maths.
I'm not convinced that my Y8 daughter knows all hers. I was going to write 'yet', but I've given up hope. She certainly didn't know them at 11+ time.

But she passed her 11+ in Glos, and is currently getting 7b for maths - so pretty much on target for an average grammar child.

Don't give up hope!
Capers
mystery

Post by mystery »

Knowing your timestables inside out is certainly useful for non-calculator papers, but I wouldn't describe it as a fundamental part of maths. It's rote learned arithmetic for the most part. There are some eminent physicists and mathematicians who aren't great at remembering all their number facts.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

until I started teaching I had a blank spot when it came to anything with a combination of 4, 6 or 8 in it..still managed to do maths at degree level though
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well there you are! Was the confusion because they are all even numbers? Sounds like you must have been a very pure mathematician.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If your tutor is coming to you twice a week surely he/she must be able to identify areas of concern? I spend 25% of my time with the parents going through the work that has been done by the student and identifying areas that need more focus. Has your dd done anything outside of school with others of her age like the maths challenge? It is v important for you to know where she is in context with others of her age rather than just her class. Is she getting the same things wrong each time? Talking about it being cool to go to the same school as her friends sounds like she is not focusing on her future and what she needs to do to get to the school. It sounds like you are doing all the right things but she needs to be more involved. What is her reaction to her scores? Do you go through the papers with her and work out where she needs more work and then do papers that are only those questions. You can get maths papers that just focus on areas of weakness. IPS have some great daily maths tests with only six questions so it will be very easy to see which ones she cant do.

You have made a great early start and you are to be congratulated for your foresight. Have you seen any improvement at all? What happens if you repeat the paper? Does she make the same mistakes?

Please dont give up, you sound like wonderful committed parents and you have the whole of the summer holidays to work with her. Best wishes DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now