Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:03 pm 

Hi,

I live in Cambridge and my DD is going to sit for her Essex 11 plus in Nov 2011. Apart from Essex I am wondering what other Grammar schools I can apply for her where there is no catchment criteria. It would be really helpful if someone can send a list of these schools. Depending on the location we are considering to relocate.

Thanks
gaap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:15 pm 

gaap wrote:
Hi,

I live in Cambridge and my DD is going to sit for her Essex 11 plus in Nov 2011. Apart from Essex I am wondering what other Grammar schools I can apply for her where there is no catchment criteria. It would be really helpful if someone can send a list of these schools. Depending on the location we are considering to relocate.

Thanks
gaap

It depends on what you mean by "catchment". For the Birmingham KE schools, the distance from the front gate is a tie-break for equal marks, but otherwise there is no requirement that you reside in the LEA or even an adjoining LEA. Long drive up the A14, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:45 pm 

am sure we have had this question before for that area ... will have to hunt for the answer!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:47 pm 

ooops sorry gaap- it was you that asked it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:57 am 

Tiffin girls in Kingston Surrey and Henrietta Barnet in Hampstead Garden Suburb both have no catchment area. We know families who put both on the form and then moved closer to the one they got an offer from. DG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:21 am 

tokyonambu wrote:
It depends on what you mean by "catchment". For the Birmingham KE schools, the distance from the front gate is a tie-break for equal marks, but otherwise there is no requirement that you reside in the LEA or even an adjoining LEA. Long drive up the A14, though.

Furthest I'm aware of at the moment is Derby :shock: - which is still quite a bit shorter than the daily commute from Cambridge...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:39 pm 

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have to discuss with my husband and decide on the location before the application process begins. Looking at other posts in the forum, my understanding is that Slough and Reading grammar schools also have no catchment. Could someone please clarify?

Thanks
gaap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:41 pm 

Quote:
Slough and Reading

There's a question about the Slough school in the Berkshire section at the moment which might give you your answer - it sounds as though it has changed recently and a certain number are located on distance, the rest just on score. I don't know about Reading, but someone will.