Starting Early

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DavyNix

Starting Early

Post by DavyNix »

Hi All,

We tried to rush our son through the 11+ plus at the last minute, he found it hard bless him and didn’t quite make the grade. My daughter on the other hand is 7 and showed an interest whilst he was practising. She's said she really wants to do it and asked if we could get her some books to start practising from.

Of course we want to nurture such a great attitude so I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions for children of her age…something fun that will get her in to the right frame of mind with regards to understand the structure of the questions (this is where my son struggled).

I’ve read the suggestions on here, we already pay a lot of attention to her progress and she’s doing slightly above average in all subjects under her own steam (according to her SATS results and teacher comments).

Any suggestions welcomed. Dave.
scarlett

Re: Starting Early

Post by scarlett »

Hi Dave, my daughter is also 7 and due to her older brothers who have taken/will be taking the 11 plus she is extremely keen and is telling everyone that she will be taking the 11 plus and off to Grammar which is a bit embarrassing as I feel a bit pushy ! I think that's girls for you to a certain extent as they seem to be quite keen on workbooks, writing etc ( my personal opinion perhaps after 2 lazy boys ! ) Anyway, my DD just loves the Bond Verbal Reasoning books which start from age 5 or 6 I think , and you can get from Waterstones or Smiths , she also likes the maths workbooks called Magical Maths by Letts which have fairy stickers .

I shouldn't worry too much about actual 11 plus type questions as that is a bit early, but just encourage her reading and then maybe take her to the shops where she can choose some of the workbooks herself...there's a huge range so you might be there for a while !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now